65 Mustang 289 w/A/C Converting Stock Radiator to Aluminum

Let's reduce this to the basics: your cooling system is essentially nothing more than a heated block of metal with ports for water, a cooling element (radiator) cooled by moving air (fan or vehicle speed) a pump to move the water, a thermostat to regulate water flow and a gauge to read the temperature. Is the radiator good? Since it's new, I'd say yes. Is the thermostat good? You say you put one in, assuming it's new. Is the gauge accurate? You verified it was, I think. Just to be sure, use the same temp gun to measure a known good car to insure you're doing it correctly. The block isn't clogged with sludge so we can assume the coolant is flowing properly. How about the fan? since the car is hotter at idle than moving, I think it's safe to say airflow is at least a contributing factor. Do the fans work? With the fans running, place a rag on the opposite side of the radiator and see if the fans suck it up the radiator. Please don't try this with pusher fans or the engine running if possible. As I stated earlier, my car has a stock fan, no shroud, spoilers duct work or divine intervention plus headers, lumpy cam and all the stuff you shouldn't have on a street car and it'll sit all day long in traffic at 100+ degrees and not overheat and yours should too. My vote is current fan ain't cutting it or timing is out of whack. Check both.

• Sponsors (?)

It's hotter moving than idling. It flowed good when we pulled the block plugs off so question is could there still be some obstruction in the block and to maybe to be on the safe side do we still do the chemical cleaning process or is this a waste of time? Appreciate your help zookeeper.

I misunderstood about the moving/idling thing. But that helps. A car should be hotter sitting, with no air movement. The fact that it's better at idle suggests a tuning problem. Triple check your timing with a good light. I like 8°-10° BTDC at idle (without the vacuum advance plugged in) and 32° at 2700 rpm (vacuum advance plugged in for this reading. Check your plugs, look white? If so, it's too lean. Does it start hard? Run-on after shutoff? Stumble on acceleration? Whatever it is, your engine isn't happy. Also, a good flush is never a waste of time and money.

one other question, are you still relying on the original gauge? if so then put on a good after market gauge and check the accuracy of the original gauge, they tend to be inaccurate.

What does your fan shroud look like ? It's not one of those aluminum cookie sheets with a hole in it for the electric fan is it? I have seen those let things run hot at highway speed due to blocking off too much radiator airflow. If you are cool at idle but overheating at highway speed I think you have an airflow problem.

Here is the set up I have now.
image1.jpeg

You've got a pretty good looking engine room from what I can tell. It looks like you ought to have plenty of room for air to pass thru almost the whole radiator. I know this is a stupid question and I'm not insulting your intellingence but are you sure the fan is wired to pull air in the right direction ? Simple mistakes like that happen. Did you check your timing or check a plug as zookeeper suggested? When you drive it until it runs hot and raise the hood, the headers aren't glowing red are they ?

Understood rustaddict and did double check that with the rag test. Have not pulled a plug or checked timing but we were going to do that once we do the install on the water pump. someone else suggested doing a pressure test to see if I might have a blown head gasket so I'm doing that part as well. I'm sure the overheating has a been an issue with this car all along otherwise they would not have pulled the thermostat out.

We are trying to set the timing now but the carb is in bad shaper and needs to be replaced. Any ideas on which Holley model to go with? I heard the Avenger is a good one staying around 600 but open for suggestions. Thanks.

Here's what I run. Pricey, but better than a Holley and does NOT leak anywhere.

Reading this thread it seems the assumption is a low speed problem but in one of your post you mentioned the new radiator seemed to run hotter at freeway speed as well.?? Basically there are 3 types of hover heating that covers most occurrences. # 1) Generally associated with age and infrequent service or maintenance where the system (water jackets in block, heads, and the radiator) just gets overwhelmed with sediment and sludge and prevents the system from doing it's job. Thermostat, t-housing, water pump, and cap are all included here for general maintenance reasons. # 2) Most common with older cars not designed to handle the kind of horse power and upgrades we tend to throw at them is low speed and idle temp increases but cools off at the higher freeway speeds as that horse power kicks in. Can't drive it on the street at low horse power or heat output but tends to cool down on the freeway when engine heat output is elevated # 3) Would be increases that will get worse at speed and never recover as you reduce speed. Obviously your car is not number 1 since everything in the system sounds near new including the radiator. Number 2 was my first opinion until you said the new radiator tends to run even hotter at higher speeds. The three things going on in the cooling system is air flow through the radiator either created by highway speed or actual MPH of the car or the fan on the water pump (or electric fan), the coolant flow through the block, heads, and ultimately the radiator, all of which is controlled by the water pump and thermostat, and temperature removal from the system by the radiator. At high speed, overheating when the air flow is at it's best and coolant flow determined by the water pump and engine RPM's is at it's best the three things you look at first is water pump, thermostat. and radiator cooling capacity. The most expensive being the radiator I would replace the thermostat first and if fuel economy isn't the biggest issue for you lower the opening to 180S or even 160S. The "S" (super) usually indicates a slightly larger plunger opening that shouldn't exceed 10-15% increased flow rate that helps at low speed and idle and doesn't create a problem at high speed. Water pump is next from a cost issue and last but not least would be the radiator. If the new radiator doesn't cool as well as the original unit at high speed when all else is doing it's job and your pretty sure the engine is good (not over bored and assembled properly so not to cover water jacket flow) you can pretty much be suspect of the cooling capacity of that new radiator. There's a lot of $200 aluminum radiators out there and most, if not all, are made off-shore where labor is cheap and engineered for everyday low horse power use. Once you solve the high speed issue when your car is making heat you can better understand and solve #2 which is usually air flow and coolant flow issues and not radiator related. I'm guessing 60% of low speed/idle overheat issues where the car cools down at higher speed is really air flow issues where the engine compartment, pavement, air box design forward of the radiator, or shroud missing is the only thing that needs to be upgraded as well.