66 comet caliente

gingerbreadman

Only half-baked
Founding Member
Jan 17, 2002
Go ahead, call me cheaky
GBM is looking for another project car and hates to say it but might stray away from a mustang this time but not too far as hes a blue oval man through and through.

Anyways i called a add in the paper that listed 300 hundred restorable classics ranging from 1930-1972 i was skepticle as i talked to the guy but when we drove out to his place outside of town i was amazed. i only scene half of the stuff he had and i only had about 10 minutes of day light but he wasnt lying he had everything from a 1931 model A to international pickups to camaros and firebirds and vetts, a cobra shell, a 67 fastback, 1968 couger xr7 etc etc and on and on, its a lifelong collection of classic s he did nothing with and yes its all worth gold h:rlaugh: he wanted 15g for that fastback and it was rusty with no drivetrain and shotty interior.

anyways to the car im thinking of, its a 1966 comet caliente 289 auto its been sitting for a long time 30 years kinda thing, it reads 70k on the speedo and i belive it literally no rust (havent scene underneith yet and is resting right on the ground now) interior is really good just a good clean of this car and it would look good. comes with a parts car that is relatively solid also, it has no papers or keys i think the story is it rear ended somneone (parts car fixes that) early in its life and has sat.

the guy started offeres at 3g for the pair delivered. I am thinking on this one although would take alot more digging into shape of the underside and the registration issue before i bought.

what do you ya'll think of the comets? heres a pic of one http://www.geocities.com/kimscomet63/comet66.html

-gbm-

• Sponsors (?)

I dig,

Thought of buying one of these when I bought the cougar. Nice looking car, uncommon, just interesting all together.

Don't they weigh a bit more? You gonna mod it, or keep it original? Anyway, I'd do it!!

I went to a 77 Comet.:nice: What sold me was the price--$600 (Craigslist find) mileage---70K, car was a six banger already converted to V8. Trailered it home and hotwired the motor (junkyard roller 5.0 from a 89 truck) and ran it long enough to know it would. Pulled the motor, swapped in the 331 six-pack from my 89 Ranger, had my trans guy go thru the C-4 that came with the car. Swapped the 8" rear to a 9". Stripped the interior, sold most of the dash components and A/C, P/S & P/B stuff for $100. :nice: Found $2 in change under the seats.:rlaugh: Straight body, cept for the bullet hole in the right front fender. :uzi: Very little rust. Car is fast cheap and loud.:D

I dig Comets! The 66-67s are fairly hard to come by tho, so if you need anything not being reproduced, just be prepared. Otherwise, theyre in the same shop manual as Mustangs, so most stuff is the same mechanically. I say a 347 or even stroked windsor with a t5z with the a junkyard petina would make it a bad-ass ride!

I think I've seen that guy's ad before. Down toward's Vernon, isn't he?

Lot's of cool old iron for nostalgia lovers.

hes just outside of chase. id wish hed drop his prices a little so some of these cars would make it to good homes for resto.

thanks for the comments guys, i am still thinking on it. if i bought it and it was all original id keep it that way, through some collector plates on it and cruise in classic style.

-gbm-

Hey Josh, the '66 Calientes are pretty cool. I almost had a convertible version. Since they are constructed similar to the early Mustangs, just watch out for the same pitfalls such as floorpans and cowl leaks. Make sure you see it off the ground to ensure the frame rails and rockers are not rusted away.

Hey Josh, the '66 Calientes are pretty cool. I almost had a convertible version. Since they are constructed similar to the early Mustangs, just watch out for the same pitfalls such as floorpans and cowl leaks. Make sure you see it off the ground to ensure the frame rails and rockers are not rusted away.

ya the guy is willing to help me look it over and such he has a tow truck so we can lift er up n get a really good look

-gbm-

I always loved the vomits, I mean the comets (the name is really my favorite part too). But being in the rust belt, I don't think I will ever even have the chance to find one for a toy.

I wouldn't pick one up without papers though.

I always liked the Comet and Fairlane 2 door models in 66 & 67. I did a search locally and see a 66 Cyclone GT for sale on Kijiji for $27,900 located in Nova Scotia. I'll try to post a pic.
View attachment 319054

im fairly sure the only difference there between the gt and the caliente is the hood scoops. i have a short video of the cars and yard in question if someone has a place i can host it to put it up on the board.

-gbm-

I think the Comets are cool but the thing that caught my eye was the Cobra shell. Is that Cobra as in AC Cobra? If it is and is original, WOW! How much does he want for that.

I know a guy that has over 100 Mustangs. Some of them are restorable fastbacks. He says he'll sell most of them but when you ask for a price he quotes a price that nobody is likely to give.

I think the Comets are cool but the thing that caught my eye was the Cobra shell. Is that Cobra as in AC Cobra? If it is and is original, WOW! How much does he want for that.

I know a guy that has over 100 Mustangs. Some of them are restorable fastbacks. He says he'll sell most of them but when you ask for a price he quotes a price that nobody is likely to give.

I dont know if the cobra is original or not, i can give you his number as long as you promise not to scoop my comets:) if you want his digits email me [email protected] i just left for work and wont be home for a couple weeks i can get it for you then. he told me to pass his number on to serious buyers only tho.

-gbm-

I dont know if the cobra is original or not, i can give you his number as long as you promise not to scoop my comets:) if you want his digits email me [email protected] i just left for work and wont be home for a couple weeks i can get it for you then. he told me to pass his number on to serious buyers only tho.

-gbm-[/QUOTE

Thanks for the offer but if it's a real AC Cobra I couldn't afford it. Good luck with persuing the Comets.

I know a guy near me that's got maybe 20 Stangs, 3-4 are drivers, the rest are quietly rusting away in the woods behind his barn.:rolleyes: Many with trees growing thru the bodys.:damnit: