66 Coupe - Multiple Questions

AEinPA

Mar 23, 2004
I have a 66 and I'm not interested in doing a true restoration. I'd rather build the car for me to enjoy.

That said, I'm contemplating putting in 3 point seatbelts. Any suggestions/tips?

I also have to tear out the entire interior and put in new pans. I've hunted for interior kits and the best so far is $564. Looks complete. Sound about right?

Re-chroming bumpers. Anyone do it? Advice.

Woodgrain interior accents. What do y'all think. I'm thinking a dark green exterior paint, black interior, wood grain accents.

Paint. What type of paint/coat. Not brand but type. I know nada about types of paint and don't want to get something I don't need.

Man, I'm tallying just interior parts and exterior trim and it's racking up quick. I'm up to $2,000 and I haven't even touched body work, paint, or the engine/tranny.

• Sponsors (?)

hey bud I know what you are going through... I think National Parts Depot has a front chrome and rear bumper for 180 or something so you might want to look at that as a more permanent and probably more effective solution... As to the floor pans good luck with that I got that from NPD and the passengers side didn;t fit right yet to do the drivers side. Somebody has a three point conversion out there but it looks somewhat junky.. I have decided on racing leather seats anyhow so I will prboably go racing harness but I would like to have a three point on the passengers side..

With regards to the floorpan. You're in luck, The Paddock now carries a complete one piece floorpan which if I'm remembering right comes from CJ Pony Parts but I'm not sure. I think it's about $600. www.paddockparts.com

As far as interior kits go I would go with Mustangs Plus. They may not be the cheapest but they back their stuff and if you have a problem. Also if you would like to talk with the owner Ron Bartlett he does watch this forum and he freely gives out is personal cell phone number and email. Great guy. I can give you a great story about Mustangs Plus going way above and beyond the call of duty. Bottom line, you get what you pay for and it's important to establish a good relationship with a company not just a person who shops for the best prices. BTW, theirs is $429.00

For the 3 point safety belt conversion, the only company that I know of, and I'm sure there are others, is Mustangs Plus. Get one of their catalogs, they're free and color with some great articles that will help you when restoring your stang. The kit sells for $250

Never mind the re-chroming. Just get new one's if you're looking to customize your ride to fit you. It would probably cost you more to re-chrome than to buy new one's...so forget it. If you buy them try to find them somewhere close as they are large and heavy.

With regards to the woodgrain stuff, I don't personally like it but it's not about me is it. One piece of advice I can give you though is to plan out the interior as much or more than you do your exterior or engine. Really draw it and write it down. Look at lots of pictures and figure out what you like and then make it your own.

With your paint, talk to a few different shops thats specialize in restoration. I know nothing about it and had to figure it out the way I'm telling you to. But use your gut and look at their work...again you get what you pay for, but know what you want-show car or driver?

As far as the money goes...hold on because you're wallet is in for a ride and you won't like it. But if you stick with it and don't expect to get it done anytime soon you'll have a sweet ride. Oh and by the way...ask anyone on this forum...it will never be done - no matter how pretty she is.

XXBULLETSXX said:
With regards to the floorpan. You're in luck, The Paddock now carries a complete one piece floorpan which if I'm remembering right comes from CJ Pony Parts but I'm not sure. I think it's about $600.
Well, I'm not in need of a whole pan. Although there's some problems, it's fairly localized. One thing I'm not sure of is all the secondary parts I may need. You know, once you get into it and you find out, "Oh, I should probably replace the plugs" or whatever.
XXBULLETSXX said:
As far as interior kits go I would go with Mustangs Plus.
Thanks. I checked it out. I think I may still go with the set from CJ, though. Most kits include seat upholstery, which I don't need at this time. I need a new headliner, carpet, dash - mainly. Since I replacing the headliner, I'm thinking I might replace the visors. The more I look at various kits, I think the CJ one has more of what I need/want.

KIT INCLUDES :
* UPHOLSTERY
* CARPET
* CARPET UNDERLAYMENT
* DASHPAD
* DOOR PANELS WITH CLIPS
* WATERSHIELDS
* DOOR SILL PLATES
* SUNVISORS
* INTERIOR SCREW KIT
* KICK PANELS
* HEADLINER (EXCEPT CONVERTIBLE)
* WINDLACE
* ARM RESTS
* QTR TRIM UPHOLSTERY (CONVERTIBLE ONLY).

unluckyengineer said:
Somebody has a three point conversion out there but it looks somewhat junky
That's what I'm trying to avoid. I'm just a product of modern seatbelts and the lap belt only just doesn't seem safe. Of course, the car has no seatbelts right now, so anything would be an improvement.

XXBULLETSXX said:
It would probably cost you more to re-chrome than to buy new one's...so forget it. If you buy them try to find them somewhere close as they are large and heavy.
That's kinda what I fugured. Good thing is CJ Pony Parts is less than ten miles away.
XXBULLETSXX said:
Look at lots of pictures and figure out what you like and then make it your own.
I think I'll do that. In my mind, I might think the woodgrain is nice. It's another to see it in reality.
XXBULLETSXX said:
again you get what you pay for, but know what you want-show car or driver?
Driver. I'm in luck, though. A guy locally specializes in Mustang restoration. I'm giving him some of the uglier body work and more than likely the paint job. I just didn't want to seem like a schmo when he starts talking about paint.