'67 Coupe, 5.0 HO EFI Swap - Export Brace!

EdMac67

Nov 8, 2018
Poulsbo, Wa
Howdy, 1st post here. Just bought a '67 Coupe with EFI this past week. A whole new learning experience. It's got a really nice body and paint but needs to be sorted out mechanically. I've seen posts here about export braces that will fit around the EFI, but most are older and I'm wondering if there's anything new out there. Looking at the Mike Maier one-piece brace for one.

TIA..........ed

Attachments

• 00y0y_dy9WmP6Mxgi_1200x900.jpg
    00y0y_dy9WmP6Mxgi_1200x900.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 472
  • 1990 5_0 EFI Swap in a '67.jpeg
    1990 5_0 EFI Swap in a '67.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 3,180
  • Sponsors (?)

My passenger side one still fits but the upper plenum is in the way of the driver side one. I was going to make a shock tower brace but got sidetracked. The alignment shop recommended a tower brace, says my towers are moving inwards messing up the alignment.

shem

Reactions: 1 user
I drove mine home about 350 miles on twisty mountain pass roads, and it was a bear to drive. It's got 19" wheels and low-profile directionals and I bet they don't help, either. Been looking at wheels and I like the Torq Thrust II classic look. They're cheap, too, at only $105 per wheel in a 16x7. I really liked the Shelby-look rims, but they only have 15" and 17" sizes. The '67 has rear discs and I wanted a big enough wheel to make sure they cleared. I'm thinking the 17's would still demand a quite low-profile tire and there goes the ride. The 16" seems like a good compromise.

MMI does make a special brace specifically for the EFI models. It's different than the one you can see on their website. But if you watch the video embedded into that web page, towards the end Mike mentions and shows the other brace. It looks like it would clear all the intake stuff no problem, even with a CAI like mine has.
So I'm waiting to hear back from MMI. I'll call them next week if I don't get an email back. One of the members here was kind enough to reply and he's also going to get hold of Mike to see how to get an EFI brace.

https://mikemaierinc.com/product/mustang/mustang-shock-tower-brace-kit-2/
MMI_Efi Export Brace.JPG
MMI_Efi Export Brace.JPG

I attached a screen cap of the EFI brace, FYI.

I'll keep you posted..............ed

Not too many size options in 15 n 16s. I got my wheels n tires for 500, sold my 14" torq thrusts that came w the car for 400. So I got rims n tires for 100 lol. Ive got 225/45 and 235/45 n the ride is fine. That brace looks nice, not too difficult to fab.

shem

Reactions: 1 user
Well, it's feeling a lot like Christmas! Got the Magnum 500 wheels a couple of days ago, they look even better in person. Just waiting for a good sale on tires.

I finally heard back from Brianne at MMI. They have a number of the EFI braces in stock, $310 plus shipping.

Called MMI today and got Mike on the line! What a nice guy, great to talk to, very helpful and knowledgeable. He had a lot of good insight on the design aspects of the brace and helped assuage the concerns I had about it.

I'm going to modify my CAI to clear the brace. Picked-up a Spectre close-90 elbow that'll come off the throttle body and get the intake tube away from the brace. Then it's just a matter of adjusting tubing length and re-hanging everything. Piece of cake!

I was thinking of getting something in a silver color (instead of black), to match everything else under the hood. Well, just so happens the one brace that's powdercoated, in the box and ready to ship is a grey color and should look great. Got it ordered and he's going to ship it out today.

They do have other EFI braces already made up and awaiting powercoating, so you'd have a choice of black or silver as you prefer.

I'll post pics when it arrives and then I've got some work to do. Cheers..........ed

Long time no post, time for an update! Got a set of 235/55R16 Bridgestone Turanzas on sale from Costco; they ride smooth, are very quiet, and have good traction. Very happy with them after almost 1000 miles. I installed a new 9" diff, the old one howled like mad and was 2.48:1 ratio out of a Lincoln Versailles. The new 3.00:1 is better for acceleration and doesn't rev too high going down the freeway. I'd like to install an AOD but steering will be the next priority.

The MMI brace dropped on like Buttah! I was very happy with that and it seems to have helped. Looks great. I got a performance alignment and it does drive better. Still over-boosted and slightly wonky steering, but a Borgeson steering box conversion (planned for next Spring) should fix that.

The CAI turned-out OK with a few stock angles and an enclosed air filter box. No more surging idle!

Except for the steering, it drives and handles great. A fun car to drive. With the EFI swap it's running very well and the Magnaflow exhaust sounds good.

After a few burps (burnt up fuel pump wire-bad splice; broken TFI module connector), it's been very reliable and has always gotten me home under its own power. So far so good!

Getting ready for "Mustangs on the Waterfront" in Port Orchard, WA next Sunday, the 28th. It's sponsored by the Kitsap Mustang Club and is an all-Mustang show with (likely) over 250 Mustangs showing up. Should be fun!

Cheers.........ed

Attachments

• Brem Airport Car Show Pics 010.JPG
    Brem Airport Car Show Pics 010.JPG
    461.2 KB · Views: 284
  • Brem Airport Car Show Pics 011.JPG
    Brem Airport Car Show Pics 011.JPG
    404.4 KB · Views: 312
  • Brem Airport Car Show Pics 013.JPG
    Brem Airport Car Show Pics 013.JPG
    391.4 KB · Views: 304
  • Brem Airport Car Show Pics 048.JPG