67 Wiper Motor Tricks?

L8knight

Apr 29, 2004
Chicagoland
Alright, I need to replace the wiper motor (67 Mustang), and I see it under the dash...before I rip half the dash out and my hair along with it... anyone have any pointers/tricks to make this a simple project?
:bang:
Also, anyone recommend a good "shop manual" for the 67? I was going to pick up a chiltons if I can find one, but thought there is probably a "bible" out there somewhere. A link to a spot where I could buy it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

dude it is a crappy job........done it a few times :rolleyes:

Take out the instrument cluster and work through the opening..........BE CAREFUL very sharp metal edges...I wear kevlar arm protection sleeves.

ALSO: DO NOT DO WHAT I DID......I had the wipers 180 degrees out of phase.........just got my car painted and on the road......started raining........turned on wipers and they went the wrong way right into my cowl and carved a chunk out of the $5000.00+paint job!!!!!! I was in tears!

So.....be very careful, very careful!

As for shop manual....most are useless....but the factory one is the only one I have seen....it can be had at any mustang shop.

67gtcoupe thats what my wipers do since I replaced the motor.I didnt know what was wrong.How did you fix it? was the linkage out or was the motor installed wrong? How do I fix this?
Bob

mustang466 said:
67gtcoupe thats what my wipers do since I replaced the motor.I didnt know what was wrong.How did you fix it? was the linkage out or was the motor installed wrong? How do I fix this?
Bob

It is the linkage where it mounts to the motor......you need to take it off and reverse it then check it is ok.

67GTCOUPE said:
As for shop manual....most are useless....but the factory one is the only one I have seen....it can be had at any mustang shop.

Go out and buy a Chiltons or Haynes and there's only one thing you still need. You'll need to rip out each page one by one and leave them next to the toilet. But alas they don't even serve well as a personal hygene tool.

There's only one book worth opening much less buying. That is the FORD "Shop Manual". Original ones like I have are getting scarce. You can easily find reprints but check them out before you buy, I have seen some with poor repoructions of the illustrations, primarily the halftone photos.

Brings a new meaning to RTFM (Read the FORD Manual).

Thanks for the tip. I was actually just looking at the 67 Shop Manuals on MustangsUnlimited last night. I think I'm going to get the version on CD, so I can print out whatever I need, when I need it. Also nice that if I screw up the pages as I'm working I can just reprint them :nice:

Next project, replacing the caliper on the front disc brakes... Then this puppy will be ready for some summer driving :D