68 Fastback Body Shell

• Sponsors (?)

IMO yes

I bet it starts a debate but yeah, I think it is.

If you can find a 67-68 fb out there, you're looking at 10-15k for a rust bucket to a beater. Tons of time and money to get to a usable build.

You're starting with a fresh shell for what you can if you're lucky find a real one.

In all actuality it becomes kinda like a factory five build. However these shells are upgraded heavily. At the point in the pictures the car weighs 200#'s heavier due to thicker torque boxes, big block bracing in the towers and frt torque boxes and convertible floor pan bracing as well.

I'm actually impressed and I didn't think I would be...

that is true, sorry about finding a fastback for less the price, didn't mean to start a flame.

why should anyone be upset that you got a decent price on a 67-68 fastback?(cleans .45acp)

actually we are happy for you(lays out plans to carjack suki).

:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

as for titling the car, here in arizona it can be titled as a replica 68 fastback, and only has to meet safety and emission regulations in place in 1968. once you have the manufacturers invoice, the state will issue a vin number for the car. then when the car is done you have it inspected. i would have to look at the state laws more closely though fo rmore information, but that is an overview.

So it would be titled in much (if not exactly) the same manner as a Factory Five Car is titled? See, that's decent; and it's one of the reasons why I love living in this redneck state. Sensible laws - and even after so many years of Governance by Janet Reno Napolitano and rbohm's "homie" Raul Grijalva!

The MVD for Yuma County is "on the oustskirts of town"; with plenty of RV parking; handy for those days when you know you're gonna be there over 8 hours..... :p

EDIT: Sorry, I just had to get some kind of debate going; since the topic almost demands it! I personally can't find anything to argue about over this product, since it is virtually a "Factory Five Mustang" and makes financial sense under that concept. So I had to pick a topic to argue with my distinguished colleague from the Eastrn part of our Great State! :lol:

While I'm editing; I'll ask Jay if there are any plans for grabbing a '67 model year? A few less "smog laws"; and I'm just weird enough to prefer the "cheese grater" fake quarter-scoops! :nice:

The title situation does vary by state.

The resale issue IMO would be pretty much the same as building a Cobra replica. The market exists. The car is simply worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Usually directly relational to what you did with it.

Well, again, that wouldn't bother me much; because, again, I wouldn't spend the money and time building it with an eye at the resale market. Selfish b***ard that I am; I'd be building it for me not for somebody else! :D

Not to spend too much time cross-posting; but I wonder if Unique Perf wouldn't be experiencing their present troubles if they had gone the Dynacorn route vice restomodding 40-year-old crunched and rusty shells?

Dad's motorcycle was basically in the same situation for titling (the VIN on bikes is tied to the frame and he got a new frame so it had to be titled as a "Special Construction" aka home built ). We actually had to get the bill of sale for the frame notorized. Our big problem was the place he bought it from went out of business 2 years ago. Luckily, we were able to send a certified letter with restricted signiture confirmation to the address where the business used to be and it got forwarded to wherever the heck the guy ended up. After that, it was just a lot of waiting for paperwork to get done (took about 3 months total from the time he first went down to Jeff City to get it titled).

-Chelle

In California, the almighty DMV doesn't seem to be too worried about who built the frame, just that it has a vin# on it, at least as it applies to hot rods. They're really coming down on bikes, such as the built from scratch choppers and such. In fact, I read an article that claimed the California DMV was only going to allow you to build one "from scratch" bike in your life. So much for this crappy state promoting individual creative freedom anymore.

.................. They're really coming down on bikes, such as the built from scratch choppers and such. In fact, I read an article that claimed the California DMV was only going to allow you to build one "from scratch" bike in your life. So much for this crappy state promoting individual creative freedom anymore.

If that "one from scratch" is true (I believe you that it is) then maybe Cali should pass a law that Arnold the "Governator" can only have one of his movies shown in his lifetime in that State then as well.
These POS polititions can really get me PO-ed when they mess with basic American FREEDOMS.
New York isn't much better as far as intelligent life in our political system,
just be glad you didn't wind up with Hillary like we did.:bang:

Some of my buddies are Harley guys, and they are just as pissed as you about it. The goofy thing is, you can buy a "real" Harley and do whatever you want, cams, carbs, big-bore kits, chop the frame however you like, put on loud pipes, it's pretty much whatever you feel you can get away with. But the EPA and the Air Resources Board are using all their time and effort concentrating on the custom bikes with aftermarket frames, engines and pretty much everything. I promise you those bikes are in the vast minority (I'd guess at LEAST 1000 real Harleys for every full-on custom) and I don't know of any that get ridden much more than the occasional cruise nite thing, they're just too impractical. Last year, none other than West Coast Chopper's Jesse James got fined about $770,000 for selling bikes that violated the EPA laws. He said they never asked about making the bikes EPA-legal, they just wanted the money. Typical beuracracy, it's not about the intent of the law, it's about money, pure and simple.

CA allows specially built vehicles to be titled under the SB100 program. I've poured through the laws when I was considering selling the Mustang to build a Lotus replica and it isn't that hard to get a scratch-built vehicle registered legally. Read this:
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61557

If someone is building specialty vehicles without understanding the law, or understanding it and trying to avoid it, i.e. Jesse James, Callaway, etc. then that's their problem when they're caught.

Post proof, not rants and "I heard..." stories that may just propagate the BS. I don't see anything here that resembles EPA and/or CARB "using all their time and effort concentrating on the custom bikes with aftermarket frames, engines and pretty much everything".