68 Mustang Front Driver Side Sags... Any Suggestions?

RestoModMark

Apr 14, 2014
Hey everyone. New to the site. Tried to access the FAQs and did a search on this topic but did not find anything concrete.

Anyway, here is my situation:

I have a 68 coupe resto mod. I have done the following since buying it about a year ago:

Fixed core support as it was damaged
dropped in new motor and trans
installed a Hotchkis TVS system

Problem: The front driver side of the car sags a little bit, about 1". It was doing this BEFORE I installed the new suspension system but it was NOT doing this before the core support was fixed or motor was dropped in. I thought the main culprit were the old springs and the new suspension would fix it. Long story short, installed the new system and it still sags. I have compared all the bushings from the control arms looked all over both sides of the torque boxes, spring saddles and everything looks identical to the passenger side. I do not see any bends, missing or damaged rubber bushings, etc. Any thoughts or ideas? Is this a typical symptom of an aging unibody?

• Sponsors (?)

How is the door to fender alignment ? Tight at the top and wide at the bottom would indicate the frame rail is high on that side .Was there any front end damage at any time . Just a slight bend ,one you cant see ,will throw things off in a frame rails length.

How is the door to fender alignment ? Tight at the top and wide at the bottom would indicate the frame rail is high on that side .Was there any front end damage at any time . Just a slight bend ,one you cant see ,will throw things off in a frame rails length.

Hi, Horse Sence.

there was front end damage when I bought the car. But the car sat level. I had to get the core support worked on, then I dropped in a new motor and trans and now a suspension. The car squats about a half an inch in the front driver side ever since the core support and motor was dropped in. I thought the suspension upgrade would correct it but it did not. Something tells me the core support work when all buttoned up did not work out correct. Its only a half an inch though.. there has got to be a good solid fix.. a good shim perhaps in the spring well or???

I ask myself this question often: Do you want it right, or do you want it cheap?
My '64 pickup shows the answer has been cheap for the past 10 years or so. It's a cobbled together collection of parts that would make Johnny Cash's assembly line worker proud. It works, but it's quirky, and not real showy. A jalopy for sure.

It sounds as though the car is bent slightly on the driver's side from the front end damage. Fixing it right would require a great deal of disassembly and careful measurement, and some cutting and rewelding.
Fixing it cheap would be a shim on the spring. It will probably work, but, it'll be jalopified.