Paint and Body 69 Hood Hinges Bent?

69shocktower

Nov 5, 2003
Dakotas
I got my car this way. The back corners of the hood stick up maybe not an inch but is very noticeable. I recently took it to a body shop and the guy said it's because the hinges are bent back by like pushing the hood back while it's open all the way. Like a person leaning on it a lot I guess. So I asked if new hinges would fix it and he said no. How that can be I don't get. He said I'd have to shim up the fenders to get it as close as possible which I'm not gonna do. And to make sure the hinges are bolted to the firewall as low as possible. Like if the bolt holes are elongated at all for adjusting. And of course he didn't want to touch it. Any ideas about replacing the hinges?
Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

I think you need a second opinion from somebody else.. If you wiggle the hood up and down while it's open, do you see any play in the rivets or flex in the hinges ? Have you tried to adjust it any ? Can we see some pics of the car with the hood closed ?

The hinges are mounted solid. I've been trying to track down more local classic body guys. Got some leads. I loosend the bolts on one hinge and it's as low as possible.

19159844.jpg

If that hood is bent it doesnt show it from the top. Lower the hinge all the way to the bottom of the slots ,Loosen all the bolts but the one in the back down at the fender apron,but dont make the back bolt really tight ,lift the front of the hood and watch for the hinge to lift at the front and tighten the bolts while you are holding it up and carefully close the hood because it may have shifted back and may hit the cowl .Lifting the front of the hinge will lower the rear of the hood .If the hood did shift back loosen the bolts directly at the hood and slide it forward until you have the best gap between the hood and the cowl . Lifting the rear of the hinge raises the back of the hood .

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that the hood looks good. You should be able to get a lot of that out with adjustment. Lay some wide painter's tape over your fender and cowl edges to help keep chips away while you get your hood gap adjusted right. That's a sharp looking car by the way.

Reactions: 1 user
Its pretty hard to bend those hinges without kinking the hood unless that hood has been replaced cause it flew open sometime in its life on the P.O.
Couple other ideas come to mind (and I may be way off) but worth a look
1rst is that an original hood or aftermarket? Fiberglass? I've seen new springs on lighter hoods that will push up the back like that. Can you push the hood down in place with your hand? Does it stay?
2nd is the hood pushed back causing it to catch on the cowl seal?
3rd could it be those hood pin holes are misdrilled and pushing the hood back in a bind and not letting it lay down?