'77 Cobra Rear end question...

CobraIIstorm

Dec 11, 2008
Alright... so a little background info. i have a 1977 Cobra II. It has a 302 bored 30 over. A lunati .522 .528 lift and .268 .276 advertised duration. I put an all new rotating assembly in it with flat top pistons. 9.8:1 compression. 600 holley 4bbl. Weiiand aluminum intake. hedman headers. stock 4 speed manual with a ram street/strip clutch assembly. When the car came out stock, it had 3.00 rear gears. I'm cruising at about 2500 rpms at 55 mph. and about 3000 at 70 mph.
I'm looking to put 3.55 gears in her, but i'm worried that it might be a bit low. Maybe someone has been in a similar situation and can give me a bit of advice to sway my decision. Thanks!
~Dillon~

• Sponsors (?)

so 60 at 3000. damn. I wish i had the money for a T-5. I wouldn't mind the work, but i just don't have the cash for it at the moment. but would you suggest the switch even with the loss of gas mileage? Is it significant enough power difference to be worth it?

Alright, I see what you mean. Well i appreciate it. That kinda gives me an idea of what i would be getting myself into. I had never geared anything except my dad's Nova from a 2.73 to a 3.73 so needless to say i had no idea how dramatic a small change was.

Thank ya Justin... I looked on Craigslist and i found a couple in the area that were out of some old camaros but i hate not knowing how many miles they have on them. i found a couple for like 400 bucks but for all i know i'll get it and i'll start to mistreat it and have to rebuild the whole thing. I suppose a standard rebuild isn't that bad though.