Drivetrain 8.8 Diff Covers for Stock(ish) GT

Red50Fox

May 6, 2019
Massachusetts
As part of my gathering of parts for my Scarlett Red money pit I'm swapping out out the rear axle, doing gears, 5 lug and discs (Oh, upper and lower CAs too) Looking at the axle the stock diff cover is a bit of a mess so I was going to replace it with the same factory type cover. Now that I've looked around and stopped my head from spinning... What suggestions do folks have about what i should replace it with? I've seen this

for $110. It does not have bearing cap support but is all aluminum and has drain holes. I'm open to suggestions but don't want to break the bank.

Let me know

I was going to switch mine from the ford racing style one to the finned when I did my panhard bar.
But the bar cleared so I left it.
Bearing support? I really haven't seen any proof it works in a street car.
I guess it may, but I don't know if it's something that could be proven.

Yeah I saw his video on that a while back , pretty cool !
I may go that route when I do my 4 lug rear disc swap over the winter

I think I'll try and find an explorer or mountaineer in one of the local yards. The cover looks like it will take some abuse but do all the things I need it to do. And hopefully be cheaper than a straight out purchase. Though the Trickflow one looks pretty good (on a budget). Thanks for sharing opinions. I'll post what I get if anyone's interested.

Striking out on the juunkyard scene. One yard said they might have one but couldn't confirm it. Not sure given the weather around here that I want to be under an SUV in the mud. So I've taken a look at a few of the recommendations and some others.I do have a question about these bigger covers. I assume they require more fluid, but I can't find any specifics on it. I just picked up a gear kit (ring, pinion shims, seals, etc) and 2qts of royal purple and friction modifier. Do I need to get more of both, how much, if I do?

Quick update! Reached out to Tony aka Junk Yard Dogg and bought that diff cover. Once we got the logistics resolved (apparently I did not click that I wanted it shipped and he was wondering when I was going to pick it up) Tony turned it around pretty quickly and I received it today. I did not notice that the cover has a stub for a cooler line( I assume it's for a cooler) any thoughts or experience on how to plug it? I think I can do better than a piece of hose and a couple of clamps

Share some wisdom!