8.8 Help

Berubeny

Feb 27, 2004
Syracuse NY
I'm in the process of converting my 93 LX into a 5.0 I have a chance to buy a Capri parts car that appears to be a 86. It has no VIN# that I can find. It has a efi motor so I'm thinking it's 86. My question is the rearend should be a 8.8 right? If so is there anyway to check the rearend to tell if it's a 8.8? Any tags or telltale signs? Please help I'm new to the Mustangs

96 Pony V-6
93 LX soon to be 5oh

• Sponsors (?)

if there is a rear end tag it would say 8.8 on there somewhere. Also look at the bottom of the rear diff, if it is squared off, its a good chance its an 8.8. The 7.5 has a rounder diff cover.

It's easy to tell an 8.8, just look at the shocks....If I'm not mistaken, the 8.8s were the only ones to come out with 4 shocks on either side of the car. If you have a total of 8 shocks on the rearend, it's an 8.8. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

sons first said:
It's easy to tell an 8.8, just look at the shocks....If I'm not mistaken, the 8.8s were the only ones to come out with 4 shocks on either side of the car. If you have a total of 8 shocks on the rearend, it's an 8.8. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Your corrected then :) Quad shocks came out on the 1984 5.0 mustangs which had a 7.5 rear.

Guys this isn't a very good way of telling if a rear end is an 8.8. The only thing quad shocks will tell him is that it was from a mustang or capri. Pictures would be MUCH more helpful in this case because its hard to visualize the difference. I was once in the same boat.

Go to www.flemworld.com. On the left hand side click on "rustang" then click on "85 how to's". Then pick "differences between the 7.5 and 8.8 rear" from the list.

The 8.8 rear became a standard on the 86' and up 5.0-backed stangs/capri. You can identify it by it being an oversized square (as opposed to more of a rounded/ circular shape the 7.5 has). If all else fails, whip out the tape measure and if you're still not sure, measure the 7.5 on your LX and make sure the capri/donor is bigger. It's seriously not that hard.