8.8 rubbed by exhaust, would you run this?

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
I have an 8.8 and I noticed that it appears the exhaust from the car it was in rubbed this thing for a long time. There is a pretty good mark in the axle tube. I just wonder if this will affect the strength of the axle tube. What do you think?
20220510_151551-jpg.696493
20220510_151535.jpg

Attachments

• 20220510_151551.jpg
    20220510_151551.jpg
    765.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Sponsors (?)

Unless you just painted over it, that may not be a rub. A rub would be bare metal and I would think your exhaust pipe would have worn out first. Maybe someone did a "Dukes of Hazzard" and came down hard. Is the mark on both sides?

I’m surprised the rear end is wearing away from the exhaust pipe. I would think the exhaust would develop the hole first in that battle.
But that being said, the pic probably makes the wear mark look deeper than it really is……. So send it!

Reactions: 1 user
Me too. It's not from my car, it's from a car I parted out. The place that is worn on the rear end housing matches up directly with some of the most ugly welds on the exhaust you have ever seen. I'm sure that is why it wore that housing the way it did.

I’m surprised the rear end is wearing away from the exhaust pipe. I would think the exhaust would develop the hole first in that battle.
But that being said, the pic probably makes the wear mark look deeper than it really is……. So send it!
I believe it could happen. On my other project car, the spiral wire for the hot air heater cloth/rubber hose (or cheap dryer vent hose) will cut into the axle shaft if neglected.
That Mustang had to make some nasty noises while wearing like that.
I’d still pull an axle and run an inspection camera in that tube to see the damage from the inside. That’s both for safety and because installing the rear end assy. twice is not something I’d want to do. If the welds were from air time, that wear spot might not be the only damage you find. And clean oil is good oil if nothing is bad inside.