Engine 85 302 holley carb. Car suddenly started to bog and sputter untill it stalled

goem425

Jun 1, 2018
canada
Hi there, car is manual and has a holley carb with 60k miles. so i bought this car recently and it ran fine before i paif for it. When i was driving it home it was driving fine for Aprox 20 minutes then it started to bog and sputter..it eventually stalled. I tried to restart it and the battery was dead. The battery was fine, turned out to be the regulator. replaced that now the charging system is fine however it bogs and wants to stall upon acceleration. Ive checked the vacuum hoses, fuel pressure and swapped the spark plugs. Im thinking maybe a gasket somewhere went or maybe i need to rebuild the carb. Does anyone have any ideas.

• Sponsors (?)

It is time to beg, borrow or buy a vacuum gauge to troubleshoot the problem. Most auto parts stores will rent or load one if you have a credit card.

Vacuum Gauge readings
attachments\606429

Attachments

• Vacuum gauge readings.jpg
    Vacuum gauge readings.jpg
    558.8 KB · Views: 3,459
Check your fuel filter and gas tank. I've recently purchased 2 new gas tanks for 2 different vehicles I've bought. I Have spent probably enough money and time on the side of the road waiting on another fuel filter I could have paid for at least one of them. Low miles are great but nothing last forever sitting, especially metal and rubber. Also check your brake brake lines too. It be bad to get it running great just in time to rear end someone. Just my two cents. Have blessed day !

Check the basics. For spark, easy way is to put at timing light on No 1 plug wire and see if it fires the plug. It that is good, check the carb to see if it has fuel. If not fuel, spray some starting fluid down the carb primary. If it then starts, it has a fuel prob. Let it get dead cold. If it then starts and runs, but bogs and dies when it warms up, you may have the Duraspark dist pickup module failing open when hot, or the ignition coil. In that case it would not have spark right after it shuts off hot, but will be fine when it cools. Make sure the ignition key switch is properly adjusted.