Engine "85 flat tappet 302 guts to "95 block

oo7

May 2, 2018
Washington
Hello.
I am in the process of rebuilding a 1985 302 when I discovered a large scratch, possibly crack in one of the cylinders. I had already ordered AFR 165 heads for the flat tappet build. I can buy a 1995 block that has been recently bored .30 over. The 1985 302 is also .30 over. Can I just swap the parts to the 1995 block. I understand that I will need longer push rods. I already have the cam kit and crane roller rockers. This will be a carbed 302. Any advice is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Probably not a direct swap.

If the 85 block was setup for a single pc rear main seal, the crank should fit. If the crank is an older two pc rear main seal, I don't think it will fit in the 95 block. Check on this.

If you are using a mechanical fuel pump, you will need the 85 front cover to mount the fuel pump. Block does not matter.

If you use flat tappet lifters, then the flat tappet length pushrods should fit. The roller cam pushrods are shorter because the roller lifters are taller.

Also make sure you have a block with a dipstick hole, and, or plug the unused hole in the block or oil pan if needed.

Check that the oil filter adapter on the 95 block works with your oil filter or use the older one. My 97 block was from an explorer and had a different oil filter adapter piece.

The dist drive gear will have to be the correct one for the cam, flat tappet or roller, block does not matter.

I am building a 331 based on a 97 block, with all new crank and rods, but using everything possible from the 78 block based motor I had in the car. Its a learning experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you. 2 days ago I bought a rebuilt 1994 mustang 302 locally for a great price. Therefore, I should be able to pull the roller cam and lifters from the new motor and swap in the flat tappet cam and lifters and be good to go after checking PTV clearance and pushrod length, right?

That is just a spring change away from using roller lifters with no cam break in worries and you likely can use the lifters from the 95 block, now the cam is a different thing but for reliability I would sell that cam and lifters and go roller, you have the block.

That is just a spring change away from using roller lifters with no cam break in worries and you likely can use the lifters from the 95 block, now the cam is a different thing but for reliability I would sell that cam and lifters and go roller, you have the block.
Great news. I just got off the phone with tech at AFR. He said I could go ahead and use the springs that I have unless I go to a higher lift cam.

Ah, so you going with the roller lifters?
Heck yes. AFR recommended a couple of cam choices that were nearly identical to what I chose thanks to reading the forums here. I need to pull the cam out because I have no idea what the specs are. I should be able to use the new roller lifters that are in the engine now, I will just need to use the recommended roller cam, right? My combo is: Standard bore roller 302, Edelbrock RPM air gap, Holley 650 DP + red electric fuel pump, .512 lift cam, AFR 165 heads, comp cams 1.6 pro magnum roller lifters, equal length 1 3/4 shorty headers, Tremec 3550, 3.55 geared 8.8.