85 gt won't start ..flooded?? please help!!

85/96gt

Mar 27, 2004
i cannot get my 85 gt to start...just rebuilt motor.. pretty much everything is new... exept carb.. its got the carb on it that was on it wen i bought the car.. wich i have not replaced yet.. my dad told me it neds an accelerator pump.. and a choke coil? my choke isnt working poberly...anyways it usually starts and run alright..( i don't drive .. it parked in garage) ..went to start it the other day and it wouldnt start...it was freezing out .. hasnt been this cold yet this year.. so i figured it was cause of the choke? and i would be able to start it wen it was warmer..... so ive had a space heater on it and te car for a while now.. seems to be warming up the motor.... car still won't start! i don't understand. i mean sometimes i needs a couple cranks.. but it always starts rigt up.. what gives?the only thing i can think of is that it's flooded from pumping it . and trying to start it a million times with no luck! so what do i do .. im thinking maybe there is jsut to much gas in there.. im holding the pedal to the floor trying to get it to start.. but nothing! any suggestions ..what should i do? i don't jsut want to leave it sit with all that gas in the carb..

• Sponsors (?)

ok just found that witing harness to distributer got disconnected...still no start tho!!.. i think its just flooded.. but i cant get it to start! what do i do?? anyone??

no distibuter is definatly on right.. motor was rebuilt and put in atleast 6 months ago .. its ran fin since then ... only thing i can figure is the cold! but i put a heater on it .. no luck.... found the wiring harness somehow got dissconected that goes to the disributer..... treid it again no luck but it was colder this time.. soo i guess warm it up again and try it ... its gotta just be really flooded.. but i dont no what to do about that other then hold the gas down?? floo it to get some air in there?? that doesnt seem to be working .. and don't n what else to do! any more suggestions...

no choke does not work ( or so im t old by my dad ) sorry im new.. but it usually starts right up wen not cold... and i heated it up to ware i thought it was plenty warm to fire up .., i had a space heater on a bench pointed towards the motor .. it seemed to warm it up good...but still no start..i don't no what to think other than i flooded it badd trying to start it the last couple days messin with it .. but i think id still be able to get it fired up..
im gonan try and heat it up again good wit that disributer wire all hokked up and try? i don't no im running out of ideas.. if it is flooded i don't really want al that gas sitting in there.. plus im about to start hiding wires..and i definatly want it running before i do that...
thanks alot for all the fast replies-=)

errr

ok... just heated the engine up good again and tried starting it no luck! i don't no what it could be!!!!!
i have been messing withthe wiring the last couple days.. jsut unwrapping it from the oold electrical tape getting ready to redo it all .. i didnt disconnect anything :shrug: not on pupose atleast... althought i did find that distibuter unhooked.. everything looks fine! so either im overlooking a wire thats unhooked...?? wich i don't think is the case ..
it sems liek its jsut flooded ... what can i do to unflood it ...????? anyone!??

If it were flooded the problem would have disappeared after an hour. Have you tried pulling your plugs, sounds like they may be fouled. Keep the engine warm with the heater like you were doing. It is very hard to get the thing running without a choke especially if it is below 40 degrees. I recommend pulling the spark plugs and hitting them up with brake cleaner and a tooth brush and see what happens.

update

ok thnaks r code.. hmm ok engine is damn warm ..BUT i awas jsut looking closely at things...and noticed one of the posts on the solonoid is empty... te one on the right.. or .. the one nearest the back of engine bay its a post with a minus symbol under it.. im guessing somthing goes there???? i don't see any loose wires? maybe this is my problem!? is that suppose to have nothing there? or is that my problem? thanks again

hmm got gas compression and spark .... anyone no anyting about that empty solonoid post... thats gotta be it! the one wit the minus symbol under it has nothing connected to it ...seems like it should!! i dont see anything that goes to it tho!

also a good tune up (if it hasnt had one in a while) would be in order. if you think the solenoid post is it, connect some wires to it that should be connected to it. I know a little bit about 85's but i drive a 98gt. Also where do you live. weather could be a major factor.

thanks a ton everyone

hmm thanks adam .. car does nto need tune up... practically everything is brand new... usually fires right up like a brand new car! just has no since its been cold.. i live in monroe michigan ..very bottom right corner of michigan.. yes its cold.. and fired right up wen it was not.. but i warmed it up! really good ...:shrug: i dont no what gives.. at this point the only thig i can think of if that solonoid .. maybe i accidently dissconnected what goes on that empty post... anyone no if or what goes there for sure...?? i really dont no ..like i said shold fire right up wen warm ..other than the carb practically everything on this engine is brand new..

Hey anything can go wrong at any minute. This may or may not help you, the other day my 98 would not start after work.( yes am i 22 with a job) When i tryed to touch my solenoid it burned like hell. so what i did was get a piece of plastic and fanned it off andit started.

What did the plugs look like? When they are fouled they can stil spark, the fouling just throws off the timing. I know because I had the same problem, I would have to advance the timing to like 60 degrees advance to get it to start with the fouled up plugs. Were they black and sooty. If so hit them with a toothbrush and brake cleaner. You know where your timing is so that should be fine, you said you were getting fuel and spark, so I recommend pulling the plugs. No choke is also a big factor if it is really cold, you will need to run it richer if you want it to start till it gets warm believe me my car doesn't have a choke and it is the biggest pain to start in the cold. Either way if you dump a lot of gas in it with it being so cold and no choke it should start up for a sec, so again I recommend checking the plugs and cleaning them up.