86 Stang Almost Ready.... Again....

striker911411

Jun 21, 2013
I love my car but this thing just seems like it does not want to be driven anymore. So last year I tried putting all new steering components under it. Then the kid busted the hatch window with a rock while the other kid lost the column/rack bolt in the grass. That's all fixed though and it has tags now. I did a shade tree alignment yesterday and took it for a spin up the street and back to make sure it can make it to the alignment shop. Everything went well till I got out and noticed coolant coming out the overflow tank. Turns out the flex-o-lite #150 fan is not kicking on at all. So I have to trouble shoot it and see whats up. While in the office (at work) I pulled the file and noticed the fan is just over 10 years old. I really hope its just a bad connection or something cause 10 years ago that fan cost $135 shipped from Jegs. Now they are $250 :eek:. Wish me luck.....

• Sponsors (?)

Could be the fan thermostat gone bad. Hook it up direct to power and see if it works. If it does you could do what I did and hook the fan to switched power and do away with the thermo. Only drawback to that is longer to warm up in the winter but then Mine is garaged for winter.

Thanks tos. That's exactly what I did and it works. I can see a need for it working as intended though. I let it get to about 210 on the way to work this morning cause I forgot to flip the switch. I must have burnt the stat out when the fail safe failed and the car over heated a couple years ago. Its at least good to be back in the car and not having to car pool with the wife anymore. I can leave work 4 hours early instead of putting in 100 hours a week :cool:

What I meant by switched power is to hook it up to come on when you turn your key on. there is no forgetting that way. It just runs any time the key is on so it takes a little longer to warm up but that's not an issue for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Thermo switches -to fix your electric fan controller.
BCI 75030 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bci-75030 temp -195 Degrees on, 175 Degrees off

PRF 30110 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-30110 temp -195 Degrees on, 185 Degrees off

Alternate placement for a temp gauge sender or temp switch/temp sensor for an electric fan. Use the heater feed that comes off the intake manifold. Cut the rubber hose that connects the manifold water feed to the heater and splice in a tee adapter for the temp gauge sender. Be sure to use the same water feed line as the ECT sensor. That way you will get the most accurate temp readings.

Tee adapter info:
Make a pilgrimage to your local hardware or home supply center and get some copper pipe and a tee that fits the temp gauge sender. Solder two pieces of copper pipe onto a copper pipe tee with threads in the tee part. Find the correct brass fitting to match the temp sender threads to the tee fitting.

attachment.php

Reactions: 1 user