88 foxbody gt megasquirt timing issues

Trilldev123

Dec 25, 2021
Seattle
Hi Im not sure if this is the correct forum but Im having issues with setting/matching timing with laptop after installing the Megasquirt gen 2 with the innovate Air/Fuel gauge in my foxbody mustang.

I checked the timing with the stock DA1 ECU and it is set at 12 degrees, but when I installed the Megasquirt the timing light says its now at 60 degrees (no changes made to distributor). I set the “ignition settings” to what the install video said (ignition settings - fixed timing - 12 degrees) and changed the settings of the “trigger angle/offset” for timing changes, but still shows 60-70 degrees with the timing light. The car idles on its own with the megasquirt ecu but timing is way off on the balancer from what it shows on the laptop.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

This is the right place. Someone will chime in soon to help you out. I know how to do it but I'm away from my laptop and don't want to steer you wrong.

Hi Im not sure if this is the correct forum but Im having issues with setting/matching timing with laptop after installing the Megasquirt gen 2 with the innovate Air/Fuel gauge in my foxbody mustang.

I checked the timing with the stock DA1 ECU and it is set at 12 degrees, but when I installed the Megasquirt the timing light says its now at 60 degrees (no changes made to distributor). I set the “ignition settings” to what the install video said (ignition settings - fixed timing - 12 degrees) and changed the settings of the “trigger angle/offset” for timing changes, but still shows 60-70 degrees with the timing light. The car idles on its own with the megasquirt ecu but timing is way off on the balancer from what it shows on the laptop.
That should not be possible, the engine would not run very well or at all.
Lets assume it is for the sake of getting you fixed up. Can you supply me with a copy of the tune file you are using.
Are you removing the spout? this no longer gets removed to set the timing.

That should not be possible, the engine would not run very well or at all.
Lets assume it is for the sake of getting you fixed up. Can you supply me with a copy of the tune file you are using.
Are you removing the spout? this no longer gets removed to set the timing.
I'm using the base tune/ start up file from the diyautotune "1986-1993 Fox Body Mustang 5.0, 1986-1988 Thunderbird 5.0 base map"
MS2Extra v3.4.4
for
EEC4A8 And nah the spout was never removed. I'm new to the tuning world but just want to get setup so I can Autotune and then dyno tune if needed. I'll add pictures of the settings I have to see if they're correct. I haven't touched any other settings other than what the video mentioned.

Attachments

• timing settings screenshot.png
    timing settings screenshot.png
    393.8 KB · Views: 31
  • engine displacement settings.png
    engine displacement settings.png
    390.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Spark output needs to be set to " Going High" not Going low

Where did you get the base tune from? either this setting has been changed or you grabbed a base tune for a MicroSquirt instead of the MS2pnp
they have hardware differences this ignition output is one of them

Where did you get the base tune from? either this setting has been changed or you grabbed a base tune for a MicroSquirt instead of the MS2pnp
I got it from http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/mspnp2_maps.php. It says these are for the megasquirtpnp gen 2. I may have accidentally changed that setting because when I loaded the base tune again that setting was defaulted at "going high"

Last edited:

Update...... I ran the car and it reads 12 degrees at the balancer and Idles soooo much smoother now. Thank you sir for all you do