88 gt radio wiring

fully

Aug 3, 2020
Saskatoon
so this car just keeps the surprises coming. the boy bought a new pioneer head unit so he could have all the BT stuff, and who ever did this wiring job should be hung. took for ever to figure :poo: out and I am unsure of what half the wires even do. they did run new wires to 3 out of the 4 speakers, I ran out of low temp solder heat shrink connectors, so had to finish it off with regular butt connectors.

I really would like to know what the factory big red wire is for. it is not the ignition hot, or constant hot,

• Sponsors (?)

Here is a pic of before when I pulled the head unit out. I can’t believe it didn’t burn down. Lol.

Attachments

• 37FBA58B-8E06-40F7-85B9-EB52CB79EF07.jpeg
    37FBA58B-8E06-40F7-85B9-EB52CB79EF07.jpeg
    662.4 KB · Views: 89
I spent a few days fixing mine recently. Previous owner had an antenna hooked up...literally drilled a whole in the roof for a 6 foot antenna. The wiring was a complete mess underneath with some type of amp at some point, missed grounds (like 3 of them) and a huge rats nest of random stuff. Finally though I have the two amps, subs, deck, door and rear speakers all running correctly. And yes......I also had odd colored wires all over the place. Door dinger didn't work, interior light was cut, oil gauge was there but not hooked up correctly.....

Feels good when its done though.

Keep rocking.

Last edited:
I remember when they sold those things on a commercial back when they first started putting them on trucks.

Reactions: 1 user
Meant to post this. What is this little box behind the radio.

It's supposed to bolt to the dash support brace right above the left side of the glovebox