88 mustang 5.0 gt left rear park brake cable

earmuff

Aug 6, 2005
Need help posted this 2 days ago but think I placed in wrong forum. Has anyone ever replaced the driver's side rear wheel emergency brake cable? Is the cable real long and run all the way to the emergency brake handle inside the car??? Or is the cable a short cable that just runs to the emergency brake equalizer hook up at the cables connection location in front of the rear wheels.

I am out of town and trying to help my daughter. I know mustangs pretty good but I can not recall how the driver's side rear emergency brake cable runs. Anyone know a site I can visit besides the you pay auto repair web site (s) to look at picture/part number parts for 88 mustangs?

I would appreciate help if someone with the know how and or picture (s) would reply to this thread or send me an email to [email protected]

Best Regards

Tom

• Sponsors (?)

If you can do rear brake shoes on a Mustang, the cable is easy.

The ebrake cable is secured in the body by a clip at the end near the pulley bracket. The clip can be hard to get out. The brake end requires the use of a big pair of dikes (diagonal cutter pliers) between the ebrake cable spring and the arm to which the cable connects. Once you have the dikes in place, push back on them while holding onto the stamped metal arm. Squeeze the dikes to clamp the cable. The wire is very tough, so don't worry about damaging it. That will free enough of the cable up so that you can slide it off the hook on the stamped arm. Installation requres a pair of vise grips to hold on to the stop on the ebrake cable end and the use the dikes like before. Then you will have enough free cable to slip it into the hook on the arm.