89 Coupe K member help..

Fast_Mustang87

Aug 24, 2004
Illinois
I have a few questions that leave me puzzled. I have a 89 coupe with a Tubular K Member from UPR. My engine sits in **** eyed and my headers are sitin on the firewall and i dont know what causes it. I have no clue if the k member has something to do with it or not, i have new motor mounts and stuff. I wanted to add long tube headers but i cant cuz the headers hit the firewall and the steering thing also is about 1/2 from hiting the headers. I have no clue if the k member has anything to do with it. i heard adding a tubular k member is suposed to give u header clearence. Engine is a 89 EFI block converted to carb. I dont know if u lower the k member or what, any help would be really good!

• Sponsors (?)

most tubular kmembers have 2 sets of holes for the engine mounts

one set is normal position and the second is about an inch or so back.

make sure you have the engine in the forward set of holes

Did you install the k-member yourself? It is very important to make sure the k-member is square when you install it. UPR doesn't seem to provide very good instructions (if any) with their products. You might want to look at Maximum Motorsports website for their K-member install instructions. It is very detailed and explains how to make the k-member square with the vehicle.

I have a K-member from Maximum Motorsports and had several QA1 also. I like the QA1 the best for fit and ease of operations plus they are cheaper. My MM K-member is probably stronger but when you mount the lower arms the bolt head recesses into the tube and I don't like that. The bolt goes right through to the other side. It was a real pain.

Again, MM is a real quality piece and probably stronger. But I will just stick to QA1 from now on because in the 3 I've installed they went in like cake. Also I've put about 80K miles on one QA1 as a daily driver that sees 100 miles round trip a day. I always do visual inspections when doing oil changes and such. Alignments have been great and the car never varies much other than toe in on alignment.

I have heard bad things on many forums about UPR! That is too bad because some of their products look really cool in all the mags. Their vendor sites are nice too at the drag strips I go to.

I think alot of people rip companies just because they hear someone else do it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have had their fair share of problems from a lot of aftermarket companies but some tend to get more exposed than others. On the other hand, a lot of companies get praise by people who don't actually have first hand experience with them.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Fast_Mustang87 have you had any luck yet?