9" rear swap for 65 fastback

I read that a 9" housing from a 57 Ranchero will bolt right into a 65 Mustang. Just wanted to confirm. Ranchero has 2" rear shoes which should be an upgrade. Ranchero brakes do not have automatic adjusters. Can I retro fit the brake adjusters from my 8" to the Ranchero?

• Sponsors (?)

Is that a big bearing or small bearing 9"? I think its a small bearing 9"...if that is the case, you can actually swap the rear discs off of a 90s Crown Victoria if you are looking for upgrades to braking. I can't actually speak from experience as to whether the '57 rear will fit...but people do say its a direct bolt in.

I even used the '65 parking brake cables on the older rear. The only thing I had to do to keep from being a true bolt-in was to get new U-bolts and re-drill my spring plates, otherwise it was the easiest thing I ever did to that car.

Zookeeper, thank you for this information. I have blasted and painted the rear end housing and plan to install 325 gears. Still trying to find American made axle bearings for the 9". Everything seems to be from China or Taiwan.

Reactions: 1 user