91 8 plug(i dont understand the concept?) very low idle and have a brake problem

4turboho

Jan 31, 2009
I have a 91 4 banger with 8 plugs.....Why? BUT anyways the "real" question---It idles at like around 3-400 and when i put my foot on the brake i hear a hissing sound, also when i put my foot on the brake the idle goes up to around 5-600 can any one help me out with this? car brakes reasonably too.......:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,

The 8 plug design was to burn more exhaust gasses. Thats why you have those plugs on the exhaust side.

As for your problems, the 'hissing' noise you speak of, that could be your power brake booster. First item i would check would be the check valve located in the engine bay, on the brake booster. Is the check valve is ok, you may have a damaged diaphram.

I would also check for vacuum leaks too while the car is running. One way of doing that is by using a throttle body cleaner. The RPM's will rise if theres a vacuum leak.

When was the last time you did a tune up? and is the check engine light on?

Hi,

The 8 plug design was to burn more exhaust gasses. Thats why you have those plugs on the exhaust side.

As for your problems, the 'hissing' noise you speak of, that could be your power brake booster. First item i would check would be the check valve located in the engine bay, on the brake booster. Is the check valve is ok, you may have a damaged diaphram.

I would also check for vacuum leaks too while the car is running. One way of doing that is by using a throttle body cleaner. The RPM's will rise if theres a vacuum leak.

When was the last time you did a tune up? and is the check engine light on?

well im in the process of doing a tune up but moneys tight and since i have to take the intake off im going to get the valve cover gasket and intake gasket and maybe for the hell of it pull the head and resurface and do a head gasket since there so easy but i did replace the fuel filter does get better gas milage now and the plugs wires and pcv are next....AND yes the check engine light is on