91-93 Fenders On 1988 Gt?

I need a driver side fender and am considering a repaint so I was thinking of replacing both (from LMR) from the later cars with the larger opening... will they simply bolt up or are there fitment issues that would prevent using the later fenders??
Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I'm just throwing this out there. The reman fenders fit quality is extremely sub par in my opinion. I had one for one of my old projects and man it was bad. You would be better off hitting a junkyard or craigslist (or both) and find some original ford fenders. The quality difference is night and day.

Chris

Reactions: 1 users
Still thinking about doing this to fit 9” rims, by “trim” do you mean the side skirt rocker panel cover that has “Mustang GT” moulded into it... excuse the stupid question but don’t see why I’d need those... which is why I’m asking

The piece of trim which has the body line stamped in it that sticks on fender . And the lower spat underneath which is the filler panel that bolts on the bottom of the fender . Both of those are shorter due to be bigger wheel opening

The piece of trim which has the body line stamped in it that sticks on fender . And the lower spat underneath which is the filler panel that bolts on the bottom of the fender . Both of those are shorter due to be bigger wheel opening

I sure hate to come off this stupid but the “spat” in front I get... the body line on door side of fender is made into the side skirt/ rocker cover piece on my 1988 GT. Perhaps LX’s have a small piece stuck on fender?

LXs do have a stick on piece. The GT has it as part of the side skirt.

Everything behind the front wheel stayed the same, it's the parts ahead of it that shortened

So you'll need a 91-93 fender, the gfx clip to river onto the fender for the side skirt, and a 91-93 GT front fender extension ahead of the front wheels.

Reactions: 1 users
My mistake i forgot that the front
I sure hate to come off this stupid but the “spat” in front I get... the body line on door side of fender is made into the side skirt/ rocker cover piece on my 1988 GT. Perhaps LX’s have a small piece stuck on fender?

Everything I am referring too is in front of the tire . Nothing behind . There is no difference in the fender opening behind the tire it's purely in front of the tire that was made bigger . If the piece with the body side line doesn't stick its bolt on , on that part of the fender . It's been a while so my memory is foggy on that one .

These are not insurmountable issues if you wish to use the later fenders. I chose to do the same on my 79 and in addition cut and enlarged the fender opening 1.5 inches forward to accommodate my forward offset MM control arms. I was able to cut a section out of the lower air dam extension and rejoin the pieces with fiberglass epoxy. I have the earlier Pace Car/ GT front on my car, but the same should be applicable to the later styles. The body side molding was also easily cut down to fit. In your case, the molding should fit properly as the difference in the fender is just that the very bottom front section below the trim line is angled forward more.

Reactions: 1 user