91 Mustang gt running hot?

19stang90

Nov 22, 2007
I have a 1991 mustang gt with trick flow heads, gt upper and lower, full exhaust griffin radiator, electric fan, mass air and throttle body. just installed autometer oil press and water temp guage. the car is running over 205 degrees.. is this a problem? changed thermostat (180), and all hoses. is the griffin radiator to small for the car.. says its rated at 400 hp but dont think my car is pushing that much horse power. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

if you just did all that you could have an air pocket in the system! try opening the rad cap while cold start your car and once the thermostat opens squeeze the upper rad hose a bunch of times and see if the fluid level drops if it does that was your problem! if that doesnt work try them same thing only jack up your front end the to the highest level you can get it then repeat the above! see if that helps you! James

Also, when does it run hot? If only while stationary or going very slow, your new fan might not be keeping up.

More info will help.

Good luck.

It's funny...I just recently went through a similar situation and all I had done was replace my oil pump...it siezed (but not because of my car overheating) - thank God for Royal Purple motor oil!

Anyway, after fighting with my cooling system for a few days, I pulled my water pump and found a small hole in the steel casing. So, I purchased a new water pump and flushed my cooling system (with the water pump removed). After installing the new pump and before installing the thermostat housing, I filled my block with water, just to make sure. After buttoning everything up and adding antifreeze, my car runs extremely cool...even with a 180 deg thermostat. So far, I have not needed to use my electric fan - it is cool here in Texas right now...

Does your temperature surge or stay at a constant temp? If you remove your radiator cap, does coolant surge out of the radiator? One more often overlooked item...when was the last time you replaced your radiator cap? Just more questions to try and help....

Clay

It's funny...I just recently went through a similar situation and all I had done was replace my oil pump...it siezed (but not because of my car overheating) - thank God for Royal Purple motor oil!

Anyway, after fighting with my cooling system for a few days, I pulled my water pump and found a small hole in the steel casing. So, I purchased a new water pump and flushed my cooling system (with the water pump removed). After installing the new pump and before installing the thermostat housing, I filled my block with water, just to make sure. After buttoning everything up and adding antifreeze, my car runs extremely cool...even with a 180 deg thermostat. So far, I have not needed to use my electric fan - it is cool here in Texas right now...

Does your temperature surge or stay at a constant temp? If you remove your radiator cap, does coolant surge out of the radiator? One more often overlooked item...when was the last time you replaced your radiator cap? Just more questions to try and help....

Clay

I will buy a new pump just to make sure that its not the problem, it probably the sock pump and has 70,000 miles on it.. the car runs 190-200 when at idle and over 205 when moving. The water does not surge out of the block .I did replace the cap as well. thanks

Also, when does it run hot? If only while stationary or going very slow, your new fan might not be keeping up.

More info will help.

Good luck.

the car begins to run hot when moving, it will cool down when stopped but will then heat up again when moving.. had a 1990 mustang bf i bought this one and never ran hotter that 180.

the car begins to run hot when moving, it will cool down when stopped but will then heat up again when moving.. had a 1990 mustang bf i bought this one and never ran hotter that 180.

Do you have a chin spoiler under the car?
It directs air up through the coil and also creates a low-pressure area behind it to help air flow through said coil.

Good luck.