92 GT 5.0 - Exhaust suggestions

Tavis

Sep 25, 2012
My wife has a 92 GT 5.0 convertible - all stock. Automatic trans. She has been wanting a better sounding exhaust on hers, and is somewhat jealous of mine (93 GT 5.0 - straight pipes with flows).

I have noticed some rust holes right where the pipe bends up behind the muffler. So I feel like it's time to replace them.
I am in NC and I do NOT have to get this car inspected next year, or anymore. So I'm considering good options to get her a better sounding exhaust. I am looking for suggestions here.

I don't know if I would want to replace the headers yet, but would like some suggestions to get this one sounding better for her.

• Sponsors (?)

All stock? Just install a cat-back of your choice and call it a day. I wouldn’t bother with headers at this point unless yours are rusting off the car and have holes.

When I was stock, I had stock H-pipe and flowmaster american Thunder cat-back. Was plenty loud and I loved the rumble.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What are your thoughts on these?

That h-pipe won’t work without long tube headers.

Cat-back is what I have, although an older version that came with super 40s instead. I run this X-pipe now, and it’s loud.

What are your thoughts on these?
In my opinion you can’t go wrong with a Flowmaster cat-back system regardless of what series. Whatever you choose you will be happy. I think they all sound great on a Fox especially the 40s which is the original Old school ionic sound of a 5.0 and the 44s are very similar. All great choices.
My X-pipe is off road, no cats, and is loud and compliments the flowmasters. Either way with or without cats you can’t go wrong in my opinion. New H/X pipe with a new flowmaster cat-back it’s going to sound great with that deep rumble. Can’t go wrong as long as everything fits like 5L5 pointed out. Do your research on that for sure so there are no surprises or expensive mistakes.

American Thunder with X pipes. I wish I had joined this forum before I got my car because the first thing I did was get rid of the cats. Now I have a small amount of exhaust smell. If I had to do it again I would have kept the cats like was suggested here.

That h-pipe won’t work without long tube headers.

Cat-back is what I have, although an older version that came with super 40s instead. I run this X-pipe now, and it’s loud.

What about this?
and

What about this?
and

I think that’s the same as what you listed before.

This is American Thunder with Bassani catted X-pipe. I do have JBA shorty headers but they really don’t affect sound as much. Of course, car isn’t stock. Has heads and cam and other junk.

View: https://youtu.be/Tv0VPBF5z4M

Since you asked for opinions....mine is they all sound much better with an off road H/X of your choice, if emissions are not an issue.

I'm running flowtech 1-3/4" shorties ceramic coated, a BBK off road H pipe and a 3" magnaflow competition series stainless steel exhaust. It sounds great. But this car is not a daily driver and seems maybe 500 miles or so per year. So this isn't a one size fits all equation.

If this was my daily driver I'd be running cats. The smell doesn't bother me personally, but everyone is different. Good luck with your decision.

• Agree