92lx. Whats the difference between microsquirt and megasquirt for fox mustangs

Blucifer99

I only understand every 3rd word
Jul 15, 2018
Port Mcnicoll Ontario
Hello fellow stangbangers..
Im lookin for info on the difference between microsquirt and megasquirt..
Im in the process of my 92lx build and instead of payin someone to tune my ecu im looking into buyin and tuning myself using either microsquirt or megasquirt.. The only difference i can see from pages of info on the net is the internal bap sensor on the mega and the external on the micro. Plus a few small differences like micro running up to 8cylinders and mega is able to go to 12. Mega can run low or high impendence injectors where micro is only high impendence ,and so forth.. Theres also the price difference. 488usd for micro vs 849usd for mega.. So basically id like to kno whats the real difference if they botg have dam near the same tuning abilities. If the micro does the exact same and uses the exact same tuner studio as megasquirt. Then id rather save some money and get the micro and put the 450buck savings toward some other mod.. Any info on this subject would be awesome because the only thing stopping me from ordering my ecu is the difference between the two.. Thanks in advance..
FB_IMG_1528429331271.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Microsquirt and Megasquirt are made by the same people. Megasquirt can be added onto easily, microsquirt is a standalone module that has many uses.. The microsquirt can be used as a simple ECU, a TCU [transmission control unit] or even an expansion module.
I assume you are looking for a plug and play unit.
What are your goals with the car, uses, what do you want out of the system?

Microsquirt and Megasquirt are made by the same people. Megasquirt can be added onto easily, microsquirt is a standalone module that has many uses.. The microsquirt can be used as a simple ECU, a TCU [transmission control unit] or even an expansion module.
I assume you are looking for a plug and play unit.
What are your goals with the car, uses, what do you want out of the system?

Well right now im doing a head cam and intake swap. Along with injectors.. And the nearest tuning place is about 4 hours away that has a dyno. So the cost of the dyno tune plus the flatbed to get the car there equals the same amount of megasquirt.. So my plan was instead of using the money for a one time tune and flatbed. Instead ill buy either a megasquirt or micro and do the tuning myself. Also i plan on installing my on3 turbo kit. So ill need a way to tune for that aswell. Ive noticed that many people have used the micro/megasquirt successfully tuning theyre turbo cars. Basically thats my plan in a nutshell lol. I just wanted to kno what the differences were between the two. Cause that price difference is quite abit and if i can save some money by buyin the micro that would go good towards other stuff thats needed

IMHO i would look at the Stinger PIMPXS ecu [ms3 based] its even more money but will do everything and then some. If your handy with a soldering gun and can wire one in you could save money by building an MS3 yourself.

The microsquirt will do everything you want it to but cant do everything [you will run out of outputs] at once.

The learning curve is steep to teach yourself how to tune a car [trust me I know im self taught] but I have a ton of resources on this site for you to review. I also do remote tuning and Tuning classes.

IMHO i would look at the Stinger PIMPXS ecu [ms3 based] its even more money but will do everything and then some. If your handy with a soldering gun and can wire one in you could save money by building an MS3 yourself.

The microsquirt will do everything you want it to but cant do everything [you will run out of outputs] at once.

The learning curve is steep to teach yourself how to tune a car [trust me I know im self taught] but I have a ton of resources on this site for you to review. I also do remote tuning and Tuning classes.

The learning curve can be as harsh as it wants lol. Im a quick learner.. And im dead set on tuning it myself. Cause to spending 500 on a tune and 400 on a flatbed and 350 on a new maf for my 30lb injectors. Id rather buy the micro or megasquirt and learn it myself.. And if the micro can run a on3turbo kit and what i plan. Then that seems like the way im gonna go..

The learning curve can be as harsh as it wants lol. Im a quick learner.. And im dead set on tuning it myself. Cause to spending 500 on a tune and 400 on a flatbed and 350 on a new maf for my 30lb injectors. Id rather buy the micro or megasquirt and learn it myself.. And if the micro can run a on3turbo kit and what i plan. Then that seems like the way im gonna go..
I completely agree, that's what made me decide to start tuning myself years ago. The micro will do what you want it to and I can help you get it setup. If you haven't yet poke around in my tech and help threads, 90% of the tuning threads in here are MS based so they are relevant as well.

All ms1 ms2 ms3 pimp micro units are megasquirt and all run tunerstudio. So the info for each will cross platform

Let's add to the confusion (or may clear it up).
Most of the plug & play units use a Microsquirt Module as the CPU, then add their own I/O hardware around it.
The MM is a white circuit board supplied by the Megasquirt inventors, Bruce Bowling & Al Grippo.
The standalone Microsquirt is a sealed unit, no adaptability,
The are all called Megasquirts.
Then, you have Megasquirt 1, 2 & 3 or MS1, MS2, MS3
MS1 is obsolete. MS2 (includes Microsquirt & Microsquirt Module) is mature. MS3 is under continuous development.
Primary difference between MS2 & MS3 is CPU type & embedded memory.
Tuner Studio is the user interface for all.
The whole Megasquirt thing is almost 20 years old.

You can Google the rest.

Let's add to the confusion (or may clear it up).
Most of the plug & play units use a Microsquirt Module as the CPU, then add their own I/O hardware around it.
The MM is a white circuit board supplied by the Megasquirt inventors, Bruce Bowling & Al Grippo.
The standalone Microsquirt is a sealed unit, no adaptability,
The are all called Megasquirts.
Then, you have Megasquirt 1, 2 & 3 or MS1, MS2, MS3
MS1 is obsolete. MS2 (includes Microsquirt & Microsquirt Module) is mature. MS3 is under continuous development.
Primary difference between MS2 & MS3 is CPU type & embedded memory.
Tuner Studio is the user interface for all.
The whole Megasquirt thing is almost 20 years old.

You can Google the rest.

You obviously didnt understand my question. I was asking about what the difference between the usages of mega and micro. Like what can either run that one cant. What makes one better then the other? My question wasnt what software do they use or who made them.. And if u google it. It sure dont tell you that megasquirt can run add on things that micro cant.. Like transbrakes. Anti lag. And so on. I dont plan on having trans brake or anything like that. So for me to buy the mega and waste extra money doesnt make sense.. Id rather spend the 622cdn for the micro since i dont need to run certain things for my car..

For a '92 LX, street driver, you don't want the Micosquirt.
1. It can't use the factory harness. You'll have to cut the ECU connector off.
2. Unable to control the AC WOT cutoff unless you build an external circuit.
3. Other things which i can't remember

+1 for Stinger PimpXS .
I followed the set-up instructions that it came with and had the car idling in a matter of hours.
I took advantage of the self-tuning capability and was able to drive the car and have autotune
make changes, this gets you in the ballpark but you will definitely need to manually dial it in.
With the help of a91what (on this site) and Stingers forum I've learned a ton and have my
car running great imo.
Keep in mind I had no efi tuning experience prior to purchasing the PimpXS, I've been very happy
with it.