93 302 BBK Header Gasket Leak

HoboNC

Mar 7, 2020
Sanford, NC
Sometime soon I will tackle this job and evaluate the header sealing surface. I know nothing about BBK headers he said they where BBK long tube 1 5/8" headers my first question is BBK a quality header the next question whats the best header gasket to install... At this time if BBK is not on the top of your list I could up-sale to a quality header to eliminate the headache of exhaust leaks...

• Sponsors (?)

I’ve always used copper gaskets and locking header bolts. Never had a header leak with those.

Last edited:
Bbk flanges are usually pretty true and their design usually fits well. I like the mls header gaskets since they’re reusable. The aluminum ones work well too.

Last edited:
copper RTV and allen head bolts with lock washers. done

Copper RTV makes a big mess to clean up later. Most heads and headers are straight enough enough they don't require it. Regular Fel-pro over the counter gasket is fine. The locking header bolts do go a long way. +1 on the BBK headers, they are good quality.

Kurt

I bought the cheapest long tubes Summitt had,used the cheap gaskets they came with and after a couple of heat cycles I re tightened them.That was eleven years and 100,000 miles ago.

Got'er done its not a bad job if you go after it right from the get-go : )...

REPLACE RIGHT HEADER, JACK UP RIGHT SIDE OF ENGINE INSTALL 1- ½” WOOD BLOCK BETWEEN ENGINE MOUNT AND FRAME MOUNT let engine rest on wood block. GET ALL HEADER BOLTS LOOSE/OUT move header so you can get the starter off. Jack engine up some more and install 1-3/4" wood block remove header.

TO INSTALL get header in place enoufh to install header once starter is bolted up remove 1-3/4" block install 1- 1/2" BLOCK USE 2 SHORT STUDS in head TO ALIGN HEADER TO HEAD DO NOT USE REGULAR BOLTS THE BOLT HEAD WILL BE IN THE WAY OF GETTING IT OUT.

This one had long tube headers, The customer picked up the gaskets he told me they said BBK gaskets were the only ones that would work I dunno that's what he got. I installed
PROFORMER HEADER BOLTS 1" LONG
3/8 X 1"

He had arp 3/4" long bolts they were on the short side. I want to make a comment on the Red high temp RTV with copper its the chit to use IF YOU USE IT RIGHT. apply a extremely thin coat to the gasket both sides this is WHY!.... Once the RTV goes though heat cycles it will turn to silicon power this power acts as a lubricant. The head and the header expand at different rates it saves the gasket from ware and when the time comes to replace it you may could use it are at the least the gasket will come off EZ with out having to use a hammer and a chisel...

Thanks again for your time to my question.