93 Cobra with Hatch Problem

93BlackSnake

Feb 27, 2006
I have a 93 Cobra and the hatch doesn't want to open. When I try the key it "pops" but doesnt open. It opens a little but just enough to move the hatch a little up and down. Can't see the locking mechanism though. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas for an easy fix!

• Sponsors (?)

Boy, that's a good one.
See if you can lay the rear seats down, crawl into the hatch/cargo area, and unscrew the trim panel on the underside of the hatch. You'll probably have to "pop" the hatch to get more working room. From there you should be able to get to the latch (or most of it) to fix your problem. Did it always do this, or did it just start? That's about the only option I can think of as removing the key cylinder won't do you any good.
Where are you located? Perhaps one of us on here can assist you.........
:SNSign:

my buddies cobra is the same way you have to have someone pulling up on the hatch when you hit the button or it gets like stuck, im sure there is a way to manipulate the latch. Im sure someone has a picture of what needs to be done or filed down

It is most likely caused from worn or broken parts. Just had to fix mine a few weeks back. Either the stricker or the latch get worn, maybe both. If you can get the hatch open inspect the stricker, it has a plastic piece around it. As it gets old it gets brittle and causes problems, you can order another from 50resto. As for the latch it is a bit more exspensive, so you may want to just try and clean and relube it yourself. I took mine off and used degreaser to help remove some of the old dried grease. Then you can use some white grease and WD40 or similar to lubricate it again. Putting in in a vice helps for this job. Then take a samll piece of pipe and push in onto the latch like it was in the car. Do this several times then apply more grease, it will help lubrication the whole latch.

As for reinstalling it you will have to take off the inside back panels. Crawl inside the hatch area and have someone or yourself slowly close the hatch. Watch where the striker and latch meet, they need to line up right in the center to work properly.

If you are having problems getting the hatch open (right now) you might be able to get at it from inside with a flat blade , but it will be difficult, good luck with that.