93 Gt Turns Off Mid Drive, Please Help Its My A To B Atm..

Mattgman

Jul 30, 2016
Hey all, I just bought a 93 GT with 90000 miles a couple months ago, she runs great I havnt had to replace anything but the starter since iv had it. The problem tho is that it will turn off while im driving, i can start it back up while still rolling or if i meet an intersection, but after i do it just cuts right back off in exactly 3 seconds. The initial cutoff seems to happen after the car gets warmed up which normally takes about 3-5-10 minutes depending on how hot it is. So my stepdad who knows about cars said it could be a vacuum line leak, i took it to a shop and they said its the anti theft system like a shorting wire, but my stepdad says they didnt put antitheft in the 93 plus the shop wants $360 bucks just to remove something iv never seen with my own eyes. Idk what to do or where to throw my money and i certainly dont want to be on a wild goose chase. Iv fallen for this car and its currently my a to b. Any and all suggestions are appreciated, thx.

• Sponsors (?)

Thx for the info! So i forgot to mention that the check engine light doesnt come on when i first start the car, but after it starts to turn off the cel comes on, but again when i start it back up in mid drive it goes back off, if i take i to auto zone can they pull the codes there? I heard they do it for free..

They won't be able to check an obd1 car. 2nd diagram down in the link shows how to jump the test port with a paperclip or length of wire. Count the flashes on the check engine light and report back.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like a TFI module on the distributor is bad.... I had the same problem and it drove me nuts until I figured it out. It's cheap and easy to replace. Good luck.

Ok so i took it to a friend of my dads and he told me to take this ground cap off of the tfi wiring, its a little grey box, and told me to see if it starts without it, it did an he said the ecp is bad and needs to be replaced but the car wont shut off anymore if the ground isnt attached, i also noticed that after i have taken this thing off it seem to be working harder then it needs to like as if something is holding it back.. I hope replacing the ecp fixes this, if anyone knows anything about all of this please let me know

Buy a rebuilt distributor with a new TFI module on the side of it. Just make sure you put it back in the right way (teeth lined up exactly like the old one) and set the timing with a timing light (about 14 degrees should be a good starting point).

By the way you set the timing with the little gray spout removed, then lock down the distributor and put the spout back in.