94-95 to 93 computer swap

94GTMOOSE

Jun 27, 2005
jersey shore
i have been reading into the limitations of our computer lately, and was thinking of doing a computer swap to a 93 computer. I do not have any mods that i need to do this yet but, i had 93 5-speed computer fall into my lap for free. i am going to swap my auto to a t-5 soon so i needed a 5-speed computer anyway.

what are some of the advatages and disadvatages that will come with doing the swap.

what other things do i need to do besides just swap the computers out.

i did a search and didn't really get the answers that i was looking for, sorry guys

• Sponsors (?)

If you search under the term PIH, you should find volumes.

There are other items needed (fan controller, BAP sensor, etc) and it's kind of a step backwards, IMHO.
I would price things for the swap vs getting a tune or a TwEECer, etc. Only you can decide since you know how far and at what rate you will be modding the car.

Good luck.

Once you go through the trouble and expense of swapping computers with the PIH harness and getting a fan controller, you are left with a stock computer.

A chip would probably be a lot cheaper - if you really like a 93's computer and WOT based timing, a chip could be done to mimic that. It also would shut off the auto tranny functions in your computer and give you a performance boost - and would NOT involve rewiring everything.

Don

I would have a hard time thinking if you do some research on this forum, you will have some doubts about using the old Fox pcm.

Don basically said it all and summed it up for you, if you ask me.

Grady

illwood said:
Yeah, I definitely cringed when I read that.

Not that you can believe everything that is printed in magazines anyway. . .
Lol yeah me too. I bet the Ebay price for a 93 or earlier computer just went up about 40 bucks from all the people who now think that it will cure all problems they are having with their cars.

i had this planned before that article came out.

also, i got a free 93 computer, and fan controller from a friend. So i think i could do the swap cheaper then having a chip burned. plus the real reason i am doingit because i am doing a auto to t-5 swap and i need a 5-speed computer. and if you guys tell me that i don't need a computer swap when swaping to a t-5 then i am going to be mad, becasue i asked that question in a prevous post and everyone said i needed it.

After an auto to 5spd swap, the U4 puter looks like (on paper) that it will bog down when it thinks it needs to shift. So the car would be driveable, but would likely have a funny little burp at the old AODE shift times.

I have always wondered if one could use a TwEECer or chip to make puter changes instead of doing a physical U4 to T4 puter swap.

If using a fox computer, an A9L or A9P will work. The P is the auto puter, and it has slightly better timing tables than the A9L - both work for manual tranny foxes.

The 93 cobra puter has kind of a weak tune, just FYI.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
I have always wondered if one could use a TwEECer or chip to make puter changes instead of doing a physical U4 to T4 puter swap.

That would be a yes Mr. JT :nice:

You can switch them around cause they are in the same pcm family of strategies.

Five total pcms in the CBAZA family used like this IIRC

2 for auto
1 for stick
1 for Cobra
1 for Cobra R

This is how I run the J4J1 Cobra file in my original GT pcm thus making it no different than if I exchanged my original GT pcm for a Cobra pcm and then started to tune as needed.

If I disco the Tweecer interface, the pcm reverts back to its original unmodified T4M0 state.

Grady

final5-0 said:
That would be a yes Mr. JT :nice:

You can switch them around cause they are in the same pcm family of strategies.

Five total pcms in the CBAZA family used like this IIRC

2 for auto
1 for stick
1 for Cobra
1 for Cobra R

This is how I run the J4J1 Cobra file in my original GT pcm thus making it no different than if I exchanged my original GT pcm for a Cobra pcm and then started to tune as needed.

If I disco the Tweecer interface, the pcm reverts back to its original unmodified T4M0 state.

Grady
Why thank you ol' wise-one. :nice: For folks not having a free manual-tranny computer and desiring to stay in the stock-processor family (go from U4 to T4/J4), this knowledge would offset the cost of a TwEECer a little bit. Very cool.

FWIW-I think us "red headed step children with the just HORRIBLE eec" are the only mustang to have a FACTORY 351w program that can be loaded up over the gt auto, gt 5spd, and even the reg. cobra eec.

not that its that big of a deal but one thing for sure the fox pcm does not have a FACTORY based 351w mustang tune they can run...unless they swap to some kind of f150+ truck eec.

you guys are giving me a lot of info, but i am not sure that i am picking up what your puttin down.

do i need to swap computers to covert my car to a 5-speed.

if no, is there anything benifit to changing the computer.

I have no major mods, but i am installing a gt-40 intake, frpp 65mm TB, pro-m mass air meter,(all of which i have rotting away in the garage) and maybe a set of Y heads if i can get a good price on a set.

94GTMOOSE said:
you guys are giving me a lot of info, but i am not sure that i am picking up what your puttin down.

do i need to swap computers to covert my car to a 5-speed.

if no, is there anything benifit to changing the computer.

I have no major mods, but i am installing a gt-40 intake, frpp 65mm TB, pro-m mass air meter,(all of which i have rotting away in the garage) and maybe a set of Y heads if i can get a good price on a set.
I'm not smart like the folks who have posted on your thread, but I will take a stab at this.

If you convert to a 5spd, you could technically keep the auto computer. It will cause some goofy hesitation issues AFAIK (but the car will run - it wont be optimal though).

You could swap the auto computer you have to a 1994-95 5spd computer.

Grady has told us that you could tune your existing auto puter to work like a 5spd 1994-95 puter via a TwEECer. I'm not sure if a tuner can do this with a chip also.

You could do the PIH style swap with the fox puter you have.

You could bolt an intake and carb on and remove all the computer stuff. :D (J/K on this last one).

I think that's kind of the lay of the land, but folks will correct what I botched.

As others have said, the 1994-95 processor is superior to the fox unit. But the tune that's programmed into said processor is what is problematic. Crudely stated for a non-tuned car, the fox puter and tune are more mod-friendly.

You kinda have to ask yourself if you envision doing any tuning down the line to answer what will work best for your needs.

Good luck.