94 Cobra wont rev past 3000

lt1_performance

Aug 10, 2010
I have a 94 5.0 Mustang Cobra and it will not rev past around 3000 rpm. With the car in neutral at wot it goes to 3000 and just stops but the tach keeps going to like 7k. If you creep in the throttle it will go a bit higher but it will still quit revving around 3500. It has an A9L computer so Im thinking it was swapped from a foxbody Cobra. Im not sure what else electronic may have been done as I bought it with this problem. Ive checked the timing and it seemed ok, I dont remember exactly what base time was set on but I thought it was fine. I borrowed a new TFI module from the local parts house and it didnt change anything. I checked the wire to the TFI the was supposed to be 12v start only and it had 9v running so I disconnected that wire while running, no change. I do know that this car had a MSD 6A box on it that was in the back seat when I bought it and it would not let the car start for the previous owner who then disconnected it and it started. Im thinking computer maybe but Id like a few opinions, anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

I'd bypass all the MSD stuff, and see how it runs. 3K rpms is where MSD products transition to multiple spark, which leads me to think this is where the problem is. If that doesn't fix it, I suspect a distributer or coil malfunction. More likely the distributer.

Kurt

As far as I can tell all the MSD wiring was removed and thrown in the trunk. Is there a way to check the distributer? It appears to have an aftermarket coil I cant remember the name right now though..