95 5.0 Maf Not Working

Zackari327

Mar 28, 2017
I have a 1995 Mustang GT 5.0l. when i first bought it, it ran really weird, almost like the motor was flooding out and then dying. I sprayed out the mass air flow with cleaner and it ran fine for about 3 week. Then it ran crappy again. I ended up completely replacing the MAF and it ran fine for about a week and had the same issues once again. Now the motor is acting like its not seeing one at all, like the motor is constantly searching.
I tried replacing the plugs, wires, distributor, new factory FORD MAF, , i checked the ground connections on the EFI. Tried looking at fuses.
I cannot figure out what it is. Both my O2 sensors are bad but i cant see that causing the issue... Has anyone else had this issue? Any insight?

• Sponsors (?)

Have you run the engine codes to see what the ECU isn't liking?

Also, if you know the o2 sensors are bad, why haven't you replaced them? That absolutely could be related as the car has no idea how to adjust its fuel trim if it doesn't know air flow coming in and how the mixture is burning.

Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

Its kinda ridiculous that you've spent all that money....but still haven't replaced the o2 sensors.

If it were me....I'd replace what I know is bad. Shorting o2 sensor wires aren't a good thing.

Do you know what happens if an o2 sensor heater circuit feed shorts to reference signal wire to the computer. Now there's way more voltage going into the ECU than the internal ground circuit can handle. Not saying that happened to you but its possible.

I had all types of issues with a previous mustang of mine. After spending a couple grand I found out the o2 sensor harness was rubbed through on the k member. If I would've tested my wires I would've saved thousands of bucks.

Check the pins for your MAF ---.... Buy a cheap multimeter...watch some youtube vids....follow the diagnostic procedure.