Engine 95 gt degreeing cam

rockyracoon

10 Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
margate NJ
So correct me if im wrong. Degreeing cam moves the cam so that TDC wont necesssarily be at 6 oclock . And if I want to go 4 degrees advance i would obtain TDC and use the cam index marked 4 degrees so move the motor so to the index marked 4 degrees advance is at the 12oclick position.

• Sponsors (?)

Degreeing the cam changes the relation of position between the camshaft and crankshaft. It does not change where TDC is. TDC is always when the piston, (usually #1 piston is the subject) is at the top of the stroke.

Be careful about setting the keys in the cam or crank gear. Some things to understand.

1) the crank gear has 1/2 as many teeth on it than the cam gear, thus the crank goes through two full revolutions for one revolution of the cam gear.

2) retarding the crank gear, advances the cam gear, and vice versa. so be away of which gear you are changing position, which way you move it, and how it affects the final position of the cam

3) 4 degree move of a crank gear nets a 2 degree movement of a cam gear and vice versa.

4) camshafts can be made with advance or retard already ground into them. so before you start, know the cam grind first

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you have a cam card for the cam? Have you gone through the process of verifying that your current harmonic balancer and timing cover mark are correct at true TDC #1?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
To the OP. How does your timing chain/gear set let you make a change? By changing position of cam gear, or crank gear, or either/both?