95' V6 ignition coils....Replace twice in one year?

Gr0und_Fault

May 26, 2004
I have a 95 v6 mustang, I was driving my car last night, dogged on it, then it starting acting pretty ****ty. Long story short, the car stalled, pushed it on the side, found out it was the ignition coil, replaced it, running fine now. I replaced the same thing about 6 months ago. Is this a common problem, or did I just get bad parts? I have 3 amps in my car for the audio and I'm wondering if all the juice pulled for the amps has any effect on the ignition coil. I think it shouldn't but I'm looking for advice. All audio components in my car are now disconnected because of this, and I don't want it to happen again. I know I did a good job wiring my system, and that their is no shorts in my audio system, at least from what I can get to to see.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, I'm having the same issue again. So this is the 3rd time that I've had to replace the ignition coil. I just got the car May 2004. When I first got the car, I replaced the plugs. Since then, I've replaced the ignition coil 3 times(this time makes 3). I thought it might have been caused by the plug wires, so I just replaced them. Put everything in, the car started fine, then stalled, won't start now. Fuse 18 under the dash keeps blowing out as it did all the other times b4 the ignition coil went bad. I need some help with this one guys, seriously!

In the Chiltons manual, fuse 18 says it's for CCRM power(dunno what that is), ignition coil, Charging system Warning Lamp, and Regulator Signal. I've used the OBDII tester and it says that I've got a misfire. I can't tell where the misfire is comming from.

I'm clueless but I can give a few suggestions:

- MSD Ignition (or similar..like Plasma Booster)
- Make sure plug wires aren't crossed
- Double check plug gapping
- Alternator power distribution (maybe a bigger&better one?)

If its not the simple things which I'm sure you've already done it could be a more significant problem thats only been amplified by..well, your amps. That many amps creates alot of heat and strain. Maybe get some new capacitors for your amps? Could even deal with fuel/air mix, clogged injectors. Misfire can be due to a myriad of things. :shrug: Hope I'll set a light bulb off for you somehow

Stangfanatic98 said:
I'm clueless but I can give a few suggestions:

- MSD Ignition (or similar..like Plasma Booster)
- Make sure plug wires aren't crossed
- Double check plug gapping
- Alternator power distribution (maybe a bigger&better one?)

If its not the simple things which I'm sure you've already done it could be a more significant problem thats only been amplified by..well, your amps. That many amps creates alot of heat and strain. Maybe get some new capacitors for your amps? Could even deal with fuel/air mix, clogged injectors. Misfire can be due to a myriad of things. :shrug: Hope I'll set a light bulb off for you somehow

Do you know if it's normal to have this fuse blow from a misfire?

I'm sure it would be a common occurance under a misfire, seeing as how there would be an electrical overload on the fuse (esp. your charging system) for quick bursts during that time. But whether its a common problem OVERALL, I would say no, but it seems like the 95's and 96's seem to have a couple more bugs than later years. I wish i could give you some more advice..