96-98 Cobra folks: definitive answer on 10.5 wheels please?

wythors

Get off my lawn!!!
Founding Member
May 17, 2000
C Addle
I'm considering putting deep dish 17x10.5 Bullit replicas on the rear of our 96 with, hopefully, a set of 315/35r17's. The car has a set of Eibach ProKit springs on it and Summit rear lower control arms. Is there anybody running this wheel and tire combination on a 96-98 Cobra and what, if any, modifications were necessary to make it work? I did a search and found a lot of "I heard you had to...." and "On my 99 I had to...." but would like to hear from 96-98 owners that have actually done it.

Thanks. :cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

I can't give you an answer, but if you click on my cardomain link, I have some pics, with my 18x10's and 295/35/18's. there are some under the car shots, to show clearence. I would assume your tire wouldn't be as tall, as mine, but you might want to look at the tail pipe clearence. hope that helps, chris

No modificatns nessasary.

Nov_07_2004_005.jpg

I personally have 18x9 in the rear with 285's. I've got the eibach springs and also cut a whole coil off them. I get absolutely no rubbing at any time(highspeed cornering or anything)...My friend has a 95 gt with the same springs and i do(cut and all) and he has the 17x10.5 cobra R's with 315's. They do rub under hard acceleration and cornering. but without cutting them they may not rub as much(they rub on the tail pipe under accel, and both the tailpipe and the fender under hard cornering. good luck, but 315's are WIDE, and should be ok with normal driving, but will probably rub when driven hard

It will also depend on the back spacing of the wheels, different brands rims have small differences in back spacing. I have the AFS 10.5" rims with Sumitomo 315's & all I had to do was rotate one side of the cat back exhaust to gain a little more clearance. No problems with the quad shocks.