96 GT possible problem areas?

IMOA if you get the stang, don't go with the PI swap. If I could do it all over again, I'd port the **** out out the non PI heads maybe use the PI manifold and supercharge the biotch. I spent nearly 2G's doing the PI swap, read my mod list. I just didn't get the power I had expected. don't me wrong, the car is much faster, but supercharging it probably would've given me more power. And if would sound f'n tight too.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 98 GT, I have 4.10s which makes things equal with a 99+ until you get to about 70 MPH. With 4.10s and a intake swap you will do OK, won't have the fastest Stang in the world though.

Consider a 1998 Z-28, you will run 12s stock and have a T-top as well.

HankyGT said:
So its only going 14.5 @ 95 with cams and the PI intake with a full exhaust and stuff?? I went 14.2 with a boost controller and a crappy 2.5" pressbent on my laser.

Maybe I will get the 5.0 :/
Oh...don't pay attention to that...That's what I can prove with a slip. That was in 90 degree July heat with street tires. I'm trapping 100 now but haven't had a good run to post yet. Should be low to flat 14's...maybe high 13's if I drive right. Looking for some sticky tires for the next time...if my car is fixed after being rear ended.

Not full exhaust...just a Prochamber and stock headers and catback.

The 5.0 isnt much better stock for stock than the 4.6 BUT you can mod it cheaper.

I will be picking the car up this weekend or monday i think. I have been constantly reading and searching on these forums to really get a good understanding of the 4.6 and why i should buy it or wait for a 5.0 to show up.

I have decided that althought the 4.6 is a little more $ for ****, to do a 5.0 correctly, its about the same. Having fun with the dipstick seems to be something im sure ill be cursing about when im at it, but you'll only have to go through the bull**** once. Plus, it'll be ok if its a dog for a bit, cause it'll sound good and look nice.

My immediate plans for the car are LT's, h pipe and the catback; i swear its got a catback on it already tho as it sounds great, some 4:10s, and a CIA and tb plenum elbow.

From there I will toss the PI intake and cams on it using the tool, a larger TB and a pump, and just supercharge it. But it wont get crazy till im hooked up with another high paying job. I still have student loans to pay off and will need to make payments on a place to live, so this car will provide a really fun daily that wont give me the DSM headaches.

Thanks for the info guys, and I'll keep you posted!

The power steering pump acts like the Vacuum booster on older Cars.. Its referred to as a "Hydro-boost" system, where it uses the pressurized power steering system to "Boost" the power brakes. Its completely normal for the brakes to not work when the belt is removed.

These cars respond great to mods, but with some mods they require a tune. The PI cams and intake swap seem to be putting down some good #'s.

That is a CLEAN car and a good looking price. I would jump on it, but i liked the $4900 price tag on the car i have now (and it already had the mods done to it :D )

Skidzz said:
The timing adjust is debated a lot in these forums. I don't think you will get a big enough increase in the 4.6 to make it worth it, but some will argue that. Also, unless you're planning on P&Ping those npi heads, swap them for PI heads. I have yet to see one person on here show any proof that NPI heads with PI cams and intake give equal gains to the full PI swap. And don't listen to people who say it's a dog and buy a 99+. Around here you still can't ever find a 99+ with decent mileage for under $10,000. The lowest I've seen was $9500 in the ad bulletin and it had 68k miles on it. I got my 96 with 55k miles for $7500 and with the mods im doing ill have just a little over $10k in the car total, and itll be eating stock 99-04s alive, for the same price. Not to mention it will look better :p
YES!!!! My 96 gt is mostly stock but in my opinion it looks better than the 99's and when i get some extra $$$$ i will add some bolt on mods and enjoy the Power and looks!

coramprat said:
I have a bud that is going to dyno tune his 97 today...headswap, forged internals, cams (VT stage 3 I think) and a Vortech SQ. He is supposed to call me when he gets his numbers. I'm sure he will post them up here too.
Damn, yea, let us know. That's going to be a pretty sick stang. Oh and he did he drop his compression for that vortech after the headswap? Dish pistons?

Skidzz said:
Damn, yea, let us know. That's going to be a pretty sick stang. Oh and he did he drop his compression for that vortech after the headswap? Dish pistons?
Not sure...I'd imagine he did but I'll have to ask...oh...

421HP/410TQ...lost fuel pressure at 6100 while it was still pulling. He has to get an inline pump to assist the 255lph pump he has now.

Who says 4.6's are slow...:nice:

coramprat said:
Not sure...I'd imagine he did but I'll have to ask...oh...

421HP/410TQ...lost fuel pressure at 6100 while it was still pulling. He has to get an inline pump to assist the 255lph pump he has now.

Who says 4.6's are slow...:nice:

How big are his injectors?

Eh, I've decided to pass on the 96. I have spent the last week trying to convince myself that the 4.6 is cool and not all that bad to work on. Yet I know that if it was a 94-95 I'd have already had it in my driveway. I really dont feel like pissing around with overhead cam crap, plastic intakes, and cruddy gains despite headswaps and all this other crap.

If anyone has a lower milage (sub or around 100k) 94-95 5 spd with a non leather, non tan interior, let me know :D

If anyone wants the # for this guys 4.6, I'll be more than happy to share.

HankyGT said:
Well today I went and drove it, I'm trying to decide if I want to purchase it or not. The car has/had a frozen ac compressor, and it was preventing the serpintine from turning, so the belt was undone when i drove it (very breifly since no waterpump etc), one thing that struck me odd, was that the car was near impossible to stop. I can't see how this could be related to the serpentine belt, but maybe it is?? Any of you ever lost the belt and lost brakes? I was thinking its a booster problem or something and if so, I dont think I want to get into that headache over a 4.6. I would rather try and find a 5.0 car that's easier to work on.
The stang sounded really clean though, I was very impressed. Any thoughts on those brakes?

My budget is whatever I get out of my DSM. I have a buyer lined up for $6500, I would like to maybe spend a TAD less so I dont hurt myself financially.

the 4.6 cars use a hydro boost power brake system like a deisel truck.. so with the serp belt off you had no power brakes.. so now you know what it's like too drive a gt without power brakes