97 Cobra making a loud humming on Accel

MrDinFla

Dec 16, 2007
I recently purchased a 97 Cobra with 103K miles thats mostly stock other thatn the exhaust and now the wheels. At about 35 or 40, it start a humming that only happens while accelerating. When you lift, it goes away. This is driving me crazy....anyone had similar problems? Id really appreciate the help.. I thought maybe the Shaft, but wouldnt that continuallly make noise after lifting the throttle?

• Sponsors (?)

The infamous rearend whine right? On acceleration its prevelent but while coasting you can't hear it....Sounds like bearings are worn out. I have the same problem. Im going to be ordering gears and the bearing kit so I can hit 2 birds with 1 stone.

The infamous rearend whine right? On acceleration its prevelent but while coasting you can't hear it....Sounds like bearings are worn out. I have the same problem. Im going to be ordering gears and the bearing kit so I can hit 2 birds with 1 stone.

Good call, usually if you have a high mileage on your car, bearings are most likely worn out. Gears + Bearing kit = saves trouble down the road:nice:

When I got my gears I knew I would need new bearings plus it keeps me at ease knowing the bearing don't need to be replaced after some time. But yeah, Gears and Bearing kit is a must man.

yep, I agree, usually it takes alot for bearings to wear out but it happens on high mileage cars, in my case it happened prematurely because my car use to have a small trailer hitch on it from the first owner. All that stress on the rearend.