97 Cobra making a loud humming on Accel

MrDinFla

Dec 16, 2007
I recently purchased a 97 Cobra with 103K miles thats mostly stock other thatn the exhaust and now the wheels. At about 35 or 40, it start a humming that only happens while accelerating. When you lift, it goes away. This is driving me crazy....anyone had similar problems? Id really appreciate the help.. I thought maybe the Shaft, but wouldnt that continuallly make noise after lifting the throttle?

The infamous rearend whine right? On acceleration its prevelent but while coasting you can't hear it....Sounds like bearings are worn out. I have the same problem. Im going to be ordering gears and the bearing kit so I can hit 2 birds with 1 stone.

The infamous rearend whine right? On acceleration its prevelent but while coasting you can't hear it....Sounds like bearings are worn out. I have the same problem. Im going to be ordering gears and the bearing kit so I can hit 2 birds with 1 stone.

Good call, usually if you have a high mileage on your car, bearings are most likely worn out. Gears + Bearing kit = saves trouble down the road

When I got my gears I knew I would need new bearings plus it keeps me at ease knowing the bearing don't need to be replaced after some time. But yeah, Gears and Bearing kit is a must man.

yep, I agree, usually it takes alot for bearings to wear out but it happens on high mileage cars, in my case it happened prematurely because my car use to have a small trailer hitch on it from the first owner. All that stress on the rearend.