97-V6 swap to 01-V6: Help

Tatrabbit

Feb 18, 2018
Southwest PA
I know I asked this before but I wasn't very clear. I have a 97 V6, ring broke in #5 cylinder, apparently previous owner kept driving, head gasket shot, no oil pressure. I have a good 01 V6.
If I understand correctly I have to make the car believe there is still a 97 engine in it. I would have to change wiring harness, cam sensor, and fuel rail (97 has return, 01 does not). To make all that work I would have to change heads and intakes..... I think.?.? Question is...can I do that? Will heads an intakes match up? If so what gaskets would I use? The 01 or 97 gaskets? Would I have to change cam? Push rods? Rockers?
Many of you have all ready helped me a great deal, thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

Have you looked at:

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2001/09/rebuilding-the-ford-3-8l-engine/

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2004/09/rebuilding-the-ford-3-0l-v6/

You are going from an externally balanced motor to an internally balanced motor. So I would think that in of itself would answer something about which "other" parts to change. IE from the rotating assembly.

But it may prove to be simpler to swap the entire cam syncro assembly than just the cam sensor. Or at the very least compare the mounting points of the two cam sensors.

Regarding which head gaskets to use. Try this. Go to rockauto and look up the part number for each model year. Are they the same part number?

It seems to me that once you start talking about swapping much more than just the heads + original intake this whole project begins to get soooo top heavy as to fall over from it's own weight.

It also seems to me like it wouldn't be all that hard to just take both sets of head off and see for yourself if they will line up. Compare the length of the head bolts. Compare the head gaskets.

Question. Have the 97 heads been leak checked, checked for straightness, and cleaned from metal debris?

The head gaskets are different part numbers. That's what made me question the fit. Only reason I haven't pulled heads on 01 is its a good running engine. Unnecessary work and cost if I can't swap them. Was hoping I would get lucky and someone would know.