98 Gt Automatic Dipstick Insert Length.

Jimmy williams

Aug 24, 2017
Like the title says I need to know what the length of the transmission dipstick is supposed to be. I lost min and could only find a 99-04 in a salvage yard, but I'm not sure it's the right length since the 96-98 and 99-04 dipstick TUBES are different part numbers. TIA guys

• Sponsors (?)

@Jimmy williams
Does the stick reach into the oil? If yes, is it too long? Does it bottom out before closing up on top? If yes, measure by how much, and cut off a bit more than that off the bottom end. Drain out the oil. Put back in the correct amount like for an oil change, slip the stick in, pull it out, note the oil level on the stick, mark it there with a scratch or hacksaw line. That's the FULL mark. imp

It's my understanding that the 98 GT used the same 4R70W trans as 99-04. Though the tube might have been shaped differently between the years the stick itself should be the same.

I built a 98 trans for my 04 GT and used the 04 tube and dipstick and it reads correctly.

Reactions: 1 user
Thankyou imp for the suggestion. Sluggie I did some more research on fordparts.com and I came to the conclusion that yes the stick, and apparently the tubes share the same number. Lmr I believe sells the tube under a 99-04 only which Is where I got the idea that they were different. Thankyou again all of you for the quick response. I just put my motor back in the cars been down since may, I missed the whole summer! This weekend I should be finishing up!!!!

Thankyou imp for the suggestion. Sluggie I did some more research on fordparts.com and I came to the conclusion that yes the stick, and apparently the tubes share the same number. Lmr I believe sells the tube under a 99-04 only which Is where I got the idea that they were different. Thankyou again all of you for the quick response. I just put my motor back in the cars been down since may, I missed the whole summer! This weekend I should be finishing up!!!!

98's are bastard years. Lots of parts from both sides of the line. Return style fuel system but with a two speed pump. Same interior as 99-early 01. Speedo can't be tuned with a tuner, has to use a speedcal like the 96-97. 4r70w is the same as the 99+ cars. Most places just unilaterally classify them as 96-98 and 99-04 without really knowing the differences.

98's are bastard years. Lots of parts from both sides of the line. Return style fuel system but with a two speed pump. Same interior as 99-early 01. Speedo can't be tuned with a tuner, has to use a speedcal like the 96-97. 4r70w is the same as the 99+ cars. Most places just unilaterally classify them as 96-98 and 99-04 without really knowing the differences.
what a bummer I didn't know the speedometer couldn't be tuned. I was hoping for that when 9 finally got a tuner since I put 3.73s in it.

Drop the tank, drill a hole in the basket. Install a normal 255 pump, remove the 2 speed relay in the pass fender(I think, look this one up). and then do a boost a pump.

My car is blown (procharger) with this setup and 80lbs injectors. Works just fine but I"m at the limit of what the stock lines can handle.

The speedcal is pricey. Be sure to install inside of the car and not in the engine bay (I did mine first on the pass side fire wall and burned it out quick). They do not warrenty them either which sucks. It's the only way to get the speedo right.