Engine 98gt To 00gt

So I came up on a 2000 GT convertible auto.. the price was right and I needed an engine for my 98 GT 5speed... I thought it was a simple swap but thinking about it I feel like I’m missing something.... first things first my 98 has the two coils the 00 has the coil on plug system, will this work on my 98 chassis? Do I need to swap the engine ECM? Is it worth it? The 00 is a complete car I paid $500.. I was even thinking of doing a dash swap but that’s a whole different deal. Any help would be greatly appreciated... long time reader first time poster ha!

• Sponsors (?)

first things first my 98 has the two coils the 00 has the coil on plug system, will this work on my 98 chassis?
No. It will be necessary to re-use the original wiring harness, fuel delivery, and ignition.

The essential item to take away from this is to make the new motor look like the original (electrically).

Don't swap the PCM. Don't swap the dash (it won't fit anyway). The object of this is not to re-engineer the car. A 1996-1998 is electrically a very different car than a 1999-2004.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No. It will be necessary to re-use the original wiring harness, fuel delivery, and ignition.

The essential item to take away from this is to make the new motor look like the original (electrically).

Don't swap the PCM. Don't swap the dash (it won't fit anyway). The object of this is not to re-engineer the car. A 1996-1998 is electrically a very different car than a 1999-2004.
Awesome thanks!!