99+ autos with stalls!

• Sponsors (?)

DarrinB said:
Do yourself a favor and ask them if they will use something other than a paper clutch. Those tend to get hot and flake easily.
You know, they would make a good converter if they used a good clutch material. Other than that, they are pretty decent inside.
Darrin

Do you have a TC company you would recommend?

Too Slow said:
awesome thanks again. i talked to a rep from P.I. and i told him that my car is my daily driver and i race it once and a while and he suggested that i get a 3000 stall. he also told me that unless i want to go with a power adder the single disc converter is fine for me.:shrug:
That's pretty much what you'll get from several vendors. For N/A applications, 1-disc @ 2800-3200. The field is split on blown applications. Some vendors say their 1-disc is good to 450. Some say not a single 1-disc converter on the market will hold up to a blown car. Message boards are the same way. The inputs vary so much. Take all these inputs into consideration. Choose which ones to believe and go from there. Good luck and have fun!

DarrinB said:
PM me.
Darrin
it is a public board, why wouldn't you want to push business for someone.

I have a PI single disc on my blown car and it is holding fine for now. I have had the TC for over a year and I make pretty good power with the little T-trim.

Well, I have seen too many people get in trouble for "advertising" when that isn't what they were actually doing.
To be completely honest, I may end up selling these in the future. I don't right now, but I have inquired about it. So there lies my dilemma.
I can hook you up with the guy selling them and I will put his contact info in a post if everybody says its ok. Who do I ask?
Darrin

DarrinB said:
Well, I have seen too many people get in trouble for "advertising" when that isn't what they were actually doing.
To be completely honest, I may end up selling these in the future. I don't right now, but I have inquired about it. So there lies my dilemma.
I can hook you up with the guy selling them and I will put his contact info in a post if everybody says its ok. Who do I ask?
Darrin

Recommending someone or a company, as long as you aren't openly soliciting business in the forum, is ok.

People put links to sale items in their sigs, which is still fine as long as they aren't advertising/selling in a thread.

I have a PI personally, but I would be interested in which company you are recommending and more importantly, why.

Too Slow said:
awesome thanks again. i talked to a rep from P.I. and i told him that my car is my daily driver and i race it once and a while and he suggested that i get a 3000 stall. he also told me that unless i want to go with a power adder the single disc converter is fine for me.:shrug:
Go 2,800 minimum. Anything less and you won't even know that you've changed the converter. I had mine build by Circle D and it was based from a modified single disk Mercury Marauder unit. These converters are a nice step up from the stock one, since they're already furnace brazed for strength and durability and stall at about 400-600rpm over stock. Aside from that the stator has had a solid steel bearing conversion in place of the stock plastic ones, the turbine rivets have been upgraded from the hollow to solid ones to further increase strength, the lockup clutch has been fitted with a much larger Kevlar lining (nearly 30 square inches, over the stock 19) to handle the additional power that is now housed inside a solid 11" billet front cover. They assure me that it will handle over 400hp and 400lbs/ft of torque in a daily driver without issue. Not bad for a just over $500US.

I'm no fan of EDGE converters as I've previously voiced in another thread and the only PI converters worth buying as far as I’m concerned are the heavier built triple disk units. They're a great converter, but kinda overkill for your average street ride....not to mention they'll run you close to $1,000 before all is said and done.

Gearbanger 101 said:
Go 2,800 minimum. Anything less and you won't even know that you've changed the converter. I had mine build by Circle D and it was based from a modified single disk Mercury Marauder unit. These converters are a nice step up from the stock one, since they're already furnace brazed for strength and durability and stall at about 400-600rpm over stock. Aside from that the stator has had a solid steel bearing conversion in place of the stock plastic ones, the turbine rivets have been upgraded from the hollow to solid ones to further increase strength, the lockup clutch has been fitted with a much larger Kevlar lining (nearly 30 square inches, over the stock 19) to handle the additional power that is now housed inside a solid billet steel front cover. They assure me that it will handle over 400hp and 400lbs/ft of torque in a daily driver without issue. Not bad for a just over $500US.

I'm no fan of EDGE converters as I've previously voiced in another thread and the only PI converters worth buying as far as I’m concerned are the heavier built triple disk units. They're a great converter, but kinda overkill for your average street ride....not to mention they'll run you close to $1,000 before all is said and done.

i remember that one gearbanger. that thing got a little ugly.

Yeah, that's kinda why I kept my personal opinions with regards to some of the other companies products to myself and concentrated on the Circle D unit I've got. :D Didn't want this thread to turn into another flame war. ;)

Gearbanger 101 said:
Yeah, that's kinda why I kept my personal opinions with regards to some of the other companies products to myself and concentrated on the Circle D unit I've got. :D Didn't want this thread to turn into another flame war. ;)

CircleD builds a good TC!:nice:

The one that DarrinB has and the ones he could potentially sell is a also a good TC!:nice:

I still feel that the multi-disk is the way to go for any modded car. PI and CircleD are the only ones offering those and hopefully Darrin's friend will again as well. The only thing I have against the PI Triple Disc is the clutch material could be of better quality.

I am happy with my single disc from DirtyDog with my current setup, but I want to upgrade for the new drivetrain going in.

I think DarrinB's friend he's speaking of, is dirtyd0g. That being said,I wish dirtyd0g (Alan) would get back into building converters. He's who was going to build mine before he parted ways with G&M Transmissions. Since he couldn't do it, he recommended Circle D to me and I could be happier. :)

Circle D doesn't have a triple plate yet. The only option for a multi plate is the PI and I don't like that paper clutch either.
For the contact info on that converter that I know of I would have to give a phone number and I don't want to do that in an open forum.
Trust me, its worth the PM
Darrin

propellerhead said:
With a Diablosport Predator, you'll need a custom tuner to edit converter lock/unlock schedules.

With an SCT Xcalibrator2, you'll need the free downloadable SCT application called Extreme Tune.

what about me. as of now i have a diablosport chip. do i need to get it reburned or get a full dyno tune?

Gearbanger 101 said:
Have you any insite as to how this converter deal has been unfolding Darrin? Might be a nice alternative for a few of the guys here. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=78460&highlight=Maurauder+Converter
He is about to cut it off and raise the price. It is an introductory deal that he set up where he isn't making any money at all really. He just wanted to get these converters out there and get people talking. He was also low on the retail pricing he mentioned in his first post I think. Do the math, he set it up as a break even if he purchased a quantity at once. I know what he is paying for them and believe me he isn't making more than $5 a piece by the time its all said and done. If he orders them individually he has to pay the full wholesale price which is considerably higher than the deal he got for these. You just can't sell a product and not make any money on it, but as long as he is willing to do that then feel free to take advantage of it. I talked to him about it, but this is his deal.
Darrin