99 cobra engine noise

Fang99

Feb 4, 2004
Anyone out there ever seen or heard this problem? My 99 cobra has just turned 16000 miles. When you accelerate, at about 3200 rpm I hear a little knocking noise that sounds like it is coming from the left (driver's) side of the motor. Any ideas what this may be? The car is 100% stock, not even a K&N filter. Any advise or ideas will be appreciated. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Fang99 said:
Anyone out there ever seen or heard this problem? My 99 cobra has just turned 16000 miles. When you accelerate, at about 3200 rpm I hear a little knocking noise that sounds like it is coming from the left (driver's) side of the motor. Any ideas what this may be? The car is 100% stock, not even a K&N filter. Any advise or ideas will be appreciated. :shrug:

Your probably hearing the PCV valve. They are noisey and annoying if you ask me.

Fang99 said:

It's hard to say without knowing exactly where the noise is coming from. Run the engine with the hood up and see if you can pinpoint it. It might be something as simple as a bearing going out in one of your accessories (e.g. the power steering pump). If you still can't locate it with the hood up, try pressing a long screwdriving up against different parts of the engine while holding the other end to your ear. Exercise appropriate caution in placement of your face relative to moving parts. :)

Thanks for the advise guys. Anybody else have this noise from a PCV valve. Any other ideas out there. If it is put on a Ford diagnostic machine, is this something that is going to show up. I have a friend that works for a local Ford dealership that may be able to get it in with no charge.

Fang99 said:
Thanks for the advise guys. Anybody else have this noise from a PCV valve. Any other ideas out there. If it is put on a Ford diagnostic machine, is this something that is going to show up. I have a friend that works for a local Ford dealership that may be able to get it in with no charge.

PCV noise won't show up. It is normal. To see if this is the noise do this:

While car is running and hood is up:
pull the PCV valve off the drivers side head
plug PCV with your finger

does the noise go away?

djtech the more I hear this sound the more it sounds like a severe spark knock. The only thing about it is I use the same gas (93 octane) that I have used since I bought the car. Oh yea, does the "tech" in djtech have any significance, i.e. Ford tech?

Fang99 said:
djtech the more I hear this sound the more it sounds like a severe spark knock. The only thing about it is I use the same gas (93 octane) that I have used since I bought the car. Oh yea, does the "tech" in djtech have any significance, i.e. Ford tech?

Sounds more likely than PCV; I only hear that noise at idle.

Spark knock should cause a check engine light, has that ever been on? I'd change the fuel filter too, maybe you just got a bad tank.