99 Cobra strange noise from engine

gvr4491

Jun 16, 2004
Hey guys,
I'm new to this board, as I'm still looking to buy a cobra and this is where I have a question for all your knowlegeable minds (ok enough ass kissing). :)

I just looked at a 99 Cobra Convertable and right when I started up the engine, it was cold, I heard a strange noise, which seamed to be comming from the upper rear portion of the engine on the pass side. The best way to describe the noise, is that is sound like an air pump (puss puss pusssshh) and the noise went up with rpm's. Is it possibly an exhaust leak? Or is there some type of emmisions pump on the back of the engine that is leaking? I would appreciate any and all suggestions. I can say it's not from the bottom of the engine, because when I ran my head up and down the front pass wheelwell the noise sure seamed like it was up top.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like an exhaust leak. Even though it appears to be coming from the top of the engine, noises like that from under the car can play tricks on your ears. It's probably leaking where the exhaust manifold mates with the mid-pipe. That's where the leak is usually located when you hear an air pump sort of puffing noise. If the leak were higher up, e.g. where the manifold meets the head, it would sound more like a metallic ticking/tapping noise.

Does the car have an aftermarket X- or H-pipe? How about tubular headers? If it's all stock, chances are that it had some aftermarket exhaust parts at one time, and the owner removed them for one reason or another.

Anyway, if it's a leak at the manifold-to-mid-pipe fitting, chances are a new gasket down there will fix it.

T-

It could be the drivers side PCV. I had some noises that I pinned down the the PCV valve. While the motor is running unplug it from the drivers side and stick your finger on it and see if the noise goes away.

gvr4491 said:
Hey guys,
I'm new to this board, as I'm still looking to buy a cobra and this is where I have a question for all your knowlegeable minds (ok enough ass kissing). :)

I just looked at a 99 Cobra Convertable and right when I started up the engine, it was cold, I heard a strange noise, which seamed to be comming from the upper rear portion of the engine on the pass side. The best way to describe the noise, is that is sound like an air pump (puss puss pusssshh) and the noise went up with rpm's. Is it possibly an exhaust leak? Or is there some type of emmisions pump on the back of the engine that is leaking? I would appreciate any and all suggestions. I can say it's not from the bottom of the engine, because when I ran my head up and down the front pass wheelwell the noise sure seamed like it was up top.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Thanks for the info guys. The dealership that has the car was kind enough to let me bring the car to my shop, and with the car in the air I noticed one bolt that connects the down pipe to exhaust manifold (forgive me if it's the wrong terminology but I'm used to turbo 4 cylinder) has a bolt that was loose, I could tighten it, but didn't. I will also be checking out the PCV valve. Hopefully by this time tomorrow night, I will have my first V8 car :)

Thanks
Joe

gvr4491 said:
Thanks for the info guys. The dealership that has the car was kind enough to let me bring the car to my shop, and with the car in the air I noticed one bolt that connects the down pipe to exhaust manifold (forgive me if it's the wrong terminology but I'm used to turbo 4 cylinder) has a bolt that was loose, I could tighten it, but didn't. I will also be checking out the PCV valve. Hopefully by this time tomorrow night, I will have my first V8 car :)

Thanks
Joe

Ahh let me guess, midpipe to manifold bolts (probably the bottom one) on the passanger side? Damn that one's a bitch to tighten! When I did my header install in my driveway with hand tools that was the single bolt I couldn't get tightened and I had an exhaust leak. I took it to my friends muffler shop and it took him 30 mins to get a new gasket and bolts back in with air tools and the car on a lift.