Engine 99 GT - A/C compressor question

Slowpony98

Mar 22, 2017
I’m replacing the compressor because the clutch is shot. Do I really have to go to shop to get the refrigerant vacuumed out before taking off or can I just take off compressor off and replace then add the new refrigerant.

• Sponsors (?)

Is JUST the clutch bad? Is the clutch field coil good? If so, If this were my car I would buy a Ford name brand AC clutch and replace everything but the field coil. A simple pair of snap ring piles is all that is needed to remove the old clutch.

The real work is removing the pressed on field coil which is difficult/impossible to do with the compressor on the car. By retaining the field coil it's possible to fix the rest of the clutch.

This repair only works if the replacement parts are 100% compatible with the parts already on the car. Mixing and matching Ford Motor craft and Brand X replacement parts won't work here.

This is a public forum. I'm not going to tell anyone it's OK to vent Freon into the air.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is JUST the clutch bad? Is the clutch field coil good? If so, If this were my car I would buy a Ford name brand AC clutch and replace everything but the field coil. A simple pair of snap ring piles is all that is needed to remove the old clutch.

The real work is removing the pressed on field coil which is difficult/impossible to do with the compressor on the car. By retaining the field coil it's possible to fix the rest of the clutch.

This repair only works if the replacement parts are 100% compatible with the parts already on the car. Mixing and matching Ford Motor craft and Brand X replacement parts won't work here.

This is a public forum. I'm not going to tell anyone it's OK to vent Freon into the air.

thanks for the help. I got the compressor off and new one on. However the new one from autozone that says it fits my car went on but apparently has a larger pulley. I can’t get my serpentine belt back on (too tight). How would I know what size or bigger belt to try since it won’t work instead of taking new compressor or pulley off. I measured the old pulley and it’s around 4 and 1/4 in and new on is little over 5 in any ideas????

I put the new larger belt on and now the car keeps stalling out after being on for like 1 min. Would the belt being too large make it stall due to a possible slipping of belt on rotation???? Any mechanic tricks to check the correct tension of belts???