A couple beginner questions

super302

I'd do anything for free Bapples
May 29, 2004
Davenport, IA
1. How do adjust the timing, and what is a good setting for it ( what degrees)

2. What should my car run in the 1/4 mile

3. how much off will my speedo be if i change to 4.10's from 3.08's and a slightly bigger wheel??

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

well you need a timing light to adjust the timing...and there is no set degree that your car will run good at. you just have to adjust it to where it doesnt ping. stock your car will run probably a mid 15 since its a stock vert. if you get 4.10s youre speedo will be way off and you will need to calibrate it with the right speedo gear. most people here are running anywhere from 12-16 degrees of timing. do a search and youll find out how to adjust youre timing

4.10s will totally throw your speedo out of whack, but if you install them you can expect to run the 1/4 mile in under 15 seconds. I would agree that mid-15s sounds right for a stock vert, and you will find that the Search function is your best friend on these boards for questions like adjusting timing.

super302 said:
1. How do adjust the timing, and what is a good setting for it ( what degrees) use timing light and turn distributor accordingly

2. What should my car run in the 1/4 mile
auto high 15s stick mid low 15s
3. how much off will my speedo be if i change to 4.10's from 3.08's and a slightly bigger wheel??
way the funk off, simply change speedo gear for 15$
Thanks.

Timing is easy. Start by taking the timing light, and hooking the positive and negetive clamps to the battery. Then take the small clamp and hook it to the number one (first on the left side of the motor) spark plug wire. After ths you need some more tools. Under your distributor there is a small bolt holding a peice of metal which in turn hold the distributor from spinning. You will need to get a 1/2 swival socket on a few extensions to reach this. Before you unbolt it, pull the small plug on the wire that is attached to the harness for the distributor. Then start the car and unbolt the bolt (not all the way out, just enough so the distributor spins). With the car running point the timing gun at the balancer located at the bottem center of the engine (poitn at it from the passenger front of the car, in front of the alternator). You should be able to see the numbers on the balancer everytime the number 1 cylinder fires. Then you spin the distributor (I forget which direction does which) to get the right timing. My made most power at 16 but they are all different. After your done, put the plug back in, tightent the bolt (dont move the distributor) and see if it pings. Find the highest optimum timing without pinging (the best is to just hit the dyno and see what timing makes the most power) and run it!

The car should go mid 15s, and with the 4.10s into the 14s.

The speedo gear is located in the transmission on the drivers side. When you buy gears look in the catelog for the speedo gear and get the appropriate one. It will still be slightly off after this (more so with 4.10s then 3.73s) but it will be MUCH better than leaving the stocker in there!

With the 5-speed tranny, I'd recommend the 3.73s. 4.10s seem to be OK for AOD cars, but a bit too much for the 5-speed cars -- you have a lower first gear ratio. You'll be shifting like mad, and you'll lose driveability on the highway, if you do much of that.

3.73s will keep you around 2300rpm at 70mph, while 4.10s would put you about 2600rpm.

Just my $0.02 worth.

dont expect to know how your car will run in the 1/4 mile. just get out there and practice it. everyone's car is different because of the driver (and the car too). just have fun! BTW dont stage with your back tires or do what ricers do...line up with the Xmas tree thinking its a street light LOL!