A Friend just got a GT500... how fast?? compare to Blown GT??

timfoster405

Apr 19, 2008
Good friend just got an '09 GT500. Have not had a chance to compare or run it against my e-force blown 07 automatic. He plans to do bolt-ons plus a tune (probable from Tillmans). I think he is looking at cold air kit (JLT or C&L), 2.65 pulley, tune, and axle backs. He has been told that he should see about 550 rwhp on 93 octane.

Is this the norm for these cars?With a good drag radial, what should the car run in summer heat and cool Fall w/ simple bolt-on's and tune?

Not to talk down our "big" brother, but I thought I read somewhere that the GT500's at their heavier weight do not run the "as good" as a blown GT?How do they compare?... meaning a 475 rwhp blown GT vs. a 550 rwhp bolt-on GT500? is it a straight weight comparison weight ratio... 3600 lbs for GT and 3900 lbs for GT500...thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

This might help:

Edmunds: Project Mustang GT vs. Shelby GT500 - MustangBlog.com

That article is a little controversial, some guys feel an established automotive journalism site like edmunds cannot come out and say a blown GT is better than a GT500. I would have thought it was, the article seems to say its a tie, with the GT500 winning at the drag strip. At the end of the day, the GT500 is heavier, but its got 100 extra ponies as well. (than even a blown gt)

They might have put a better blower on it, but then you have to wonder if the bottom end of the engine could take it. They mention that the radiator was not able to keep the blown GT cool during the lapping. Any time you mess with the stock set-up, your upsetting a balance engineered into the car. You may end up spending more time and money trying to get everything back in balance, then you would just buying the better car from the factory.

Who knows.. I was surprised the aftermarket suspension did not help the GT more than it it did. I am not saying it did not help, I just would have thought it would have helped more.

You have to keep in mind that the GT500 is more beefy in all the important places compared to a plain GT. That means the GT500 will be faster with less work. It has a stronger transmission (T56), an iron block, forged pistons and rods, and of course wider and more sticky tires. Yes, a boosted GT is very fun... but when the power levels get above 500rwhp, the GT500 doesn't have to worry about it.

You have to keep in mind that the GT500 is more beefy in all the important places compared to a plain GT. That means the GT500 will be faster with less work. It has a stronger transmission (T56), an iron block, forged pistons and rods, and of course wider and more sticky tires. Yes, a boosted GT is very fun... but when the power levels get above 500rwhp, the GT500 doesn't have to worry about it.

the gt500 has a TR6060. but i do agree with everything you are saying. as a whole, the gt500 is made to handle more power out of the box.:D

But for the money an S/C GT will be faster. I have $42,000 in my 2009 Mustang GT including purchase price (glass roof inlcuded - GT500 not an option) and I get 534 RWHP. That is a lot more than the stock GT500. Plus the GT500 weighs 300 pounds more.

At my local track a guy with a GT500 ran a 13.9.
So the question is whether or not the driver can utilize the car to his advantage.
You can claim that *insert name of magazine* ran a 12.xx but it's meaningless if you can't match it.

And you shouldn't make HP figures be the deciding factor on how fast a car is. Just look at all the 1000+whp Supras in the 13s or slower. (I personally haven't seen any but according to many that's how they are.)