A question about computer codes

eastexsteve

Nov 13, 2011
I recently acquired a 1995 5-speed that I'm in the process of working the bugs out. I have two questions regarding a couple of codes that it keeps triggering.

If I erase the codes and clear the computer, the car will run OK for as long as I keep it running at the next start up, and the "check engine" light will stay off. But, after I turn it off, it will activate the check engine light upon the next start up. Pulling the codes yields a P0102 and a P0340. Is it normal for the car to wait until the next start up before it kicks on the check engine light? And, my OBDII docs define those codes as:

P0102 - mass or volume air flow circuit low input

P0340 - camshaft position sensor A circuit malfunction (Bank 1 or single sensor)

Are these the same definitions that Ford uses?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure if these are the codes that ford uses, that would be a really good question for a ford dealer, but both of these codes i've seen in other forums and threads on the same thing, basically what i understood of those threads was that you have a leak in the intake somewhere, or if it has cold air something is wrong with it, and the cam sensor is said to be part of the air intake so if i understood those threads right you should check out your intake hoses and then see if that clears them both from the car, also if it is a different air intake then the stock one you might want to put the original back on and see if that fix's the problem also.