A question of value

woodsnake

15 Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Hicksville, NY
what's the value of

An "A" code 289, complete with buddy bar Cobra valve covers, stock 4V carb, with tag, and intake tag? I have the gold air cleaner, or most of it, and the original distributor.
The only thing I don't have is the orginal oil pan. ( I think. I may have it too.)

The engine is from the 65 Ranchero I had a while ago. The motor turns over by hand, but feels sloppy, like it has a spun bearing. I have it at home on a stand.
I think that with the tags, having not been bored, even with the spun bearing, this assembly is worth at least 700.00

How far off am I, and why? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I'd say the value is a bit closer to $200 if it has damage. The A code 289 is exactly the same as the C code 289 with the exception of the intake manifold. If the bearing is spun, the block isn't worth fixing in my opinion. The valve covers have value, as does a stock, cast iron 4bbl intake, but that's about it. Just my opinion, I've been wrong before.

I didn't see any damage to the block, it's just when you turn the dampner it feels like something is 'loose', or spun, maybe.
I know to replace the valve covers will be around two hundred, the intake when cleaned and painted is worth a hundred, the carb is a complete rebuildable core, and I've seen similar ones to mine sell for over a hundred.
As a collection of parts, I think it's worth more.
If I parted out the motor, I can see not getting 700.00 for it, but with everything still 'there', I think it's worth more than 200.00.
Oh well. Not really motivated to sell it off yet.