ABACO Digital Mass Air Meter. do they work?

larrym1961

5 Year Member
Dec 18, 2010
Idaho Falls Id
I have been thinking of trying an ABACO digital mass air meter on my Mustang. So far I have had only one air meter that seems to work with my Mustang. I have 24lb injectors and a 73MM C&L Mass air meter w/24lb. sample tube in it. I have tried a PRO FLOW and PRO M RACING mass air meters both were trimmed for the 24lb injectors ,the car would run great with both until the motor gets up to operating temp, then it hardly wants to idle above 650 rpm! I don't have that issue w/ the C&L. But I don't want that as my only option, so I was wondering if anybody out there has run or is currently using an ABACO digital air meter, and what is your feeling about them, or why my car will only run with the C&L?

• Sponsors (?)

Brother had one and it was a quality piece, ditched it when he went to more boost and a speed density setup and aem ecu. Personally I would buy one but already have a comperable pro-m one. As for c&l I wouldn't buy if I was paid to. Only ones I would consider in the future would be an abaco, pro-m, or a pmas blow through.

I have been thinking of trying an ABACO digital mass air meter on my Mustang. So far I have had only one air meter that seems to work with my Mustang. I have 24lb injectors and a 73MM C&L Mass air meter w/24lb. sample tube in it. I have tried a PRO FLOW and PRO M RACING mass air meters both were trimmed for the 24lb injectors ,the car would run great with both until the motor gets up to operating temp, then it hardly wants to idle above 650 rpm! I don't have that issue w/ the C&L. But I don't want that as my only option, so I was wondering if anybody out there has run or is currently using an ABACO digital air meter, and what is your feeling about them, or why my car will only run with the C&L?
something is wrong, and it should be found before buying more parts...

What ecu are you using?
What is the part number on the C&L meter (sensor) that you are using?

Do you get any codes when using the C&L?
How about with one of the other meters?

I am now using an A9L ecu. I was using a C3W '93 auto ecu @ the time I was using the PRO FLOW and PRO M RACING air meters. The C&L has an Aluminum sample tube, not colored, I don't think C&L was using colored sample tubes at the Time I purchaced it in 2004, I know presently they have a blue one for 24lb. injectors, but I purchaced it through the now only" classis Mustang parts" place, Texas Mustang Parts, and It is "supposed" to be a sample tube for 24lb. injectors.

And with the C&L, the computer showes no codes, only code 11. nor did it show any codes using the PRO FLOW meter either. What do you think the issue is? I never had the problem with my old motor w/19lb injectors and C&L meter w/19lb sample tube, but then again I never used a Pro Flow with that motor either. I used it on my new motor when I built and installed it. Using Ford Racing M-9593-AA302 24lb injectors.

Run which ever meter you prefer and get it professionally tuned with a chip , all the calibrated meters are always off on one end or the other , they are either spot on in the low end and rich or lean on WOT , or if they are right at WOT , they are off at idle usually off the charts lean at idle and cruise

In '04 they were using color coding... I bought mine pre 2000...
C&L Calibration Tube Chart

I have the measurements for most of the sample tubes if you would like to verify the ID of the tube you have as well... They have been mis-colored before.
Also, keep in mind that the sensor that you install in the housing/sample tube needs to be the stock sensor for the ecu you are using.

Were the 2 other meters bought new, or used?
In other words... how certain are you that they were calibrated for use with your ECU?

They were both new air Meters, they were supposed to be calibrated for 24LB injectors. other than that I don't believe they were calibrated to the C3W ECU I was using @ the time. That is what I was told several years ago, that it did not sound like those meters were properly callibrated to the 24LB injectors. Well I sent the PRO M RACING one back and got a refund. The PRO FLOW I still have, and can not get that one recalibrated because PRO FLOW no longer exists at least that is what Brothers Performance Warehouse told me @ the time. that is were I purchased the PRO FLOW.

Pro Flow, Pro M and PMAS are all companies that in some way are related, either by equipment, owners or employees.
If you truly think the problem is the meter, you could try pmas, but my buddy tells me they have been unreliable with their Customer service lately (lack of meters, not problems with them).
He's resorted to using the DBX meters on customer cars and seems to be satisfied.

Pro Flow, Pro M and PMAS are all companies that in some way are related, either by equipment, owners or employees.
If you truly think the problem is the meter, you could try pmas, but my buddy tells me they have been unreliable with their Customer service lately (lack of meters, not problems with them).
He's resorted to using the DBX meters on customer cars and seems to be satisfied.

Ive heard exactly the same thing! I used to run a PMAS with great experience I went to upgrade meters and the company I tried to get it from said they no longer deal with the company not because of poor meters but customer service. This is why I run the Abaco DBX which is run by Anderson Ford for those who dont know and I love the guys at Anderson, great people!

If I remember right Pro M was started by Bob Atwood who was an ex Ford Electronics Engineer who designed their mass air meter. Well the PRO FLOW will stay in the closet and when I decide to scrap the C&L, the DBX will be my next air meter!

Pro-M Clarification

Hello my name is Sean and I work at Pro-M. We have never been associated with PMAS. Pro-Flow (Professional Flow Technologies) was the original Pro-M. We will recalibrate a Pro-Flow or Pro-M meter for the same price of $100. The PMAS and others cost more to recalibrate.

If you have questions about the meters give me a call 336.644.8668.

Sean

Hello my name is Sean and I work at Pro-M. We have never been associated with PMAS. Pro-Flow (Professional Flow Technologies) was the original Pro-M. We will recalibrate a Pro-Flow or Pro-M meter for the same price of $100. The PMAS and others cost more to recalibrate.

If you have questions about the meters give me a call 336.644.8668.

Sean

Thanks Sean,
you answered an email I sent to Pro M a couple months ago regarding a re-cal on my meter, and I did sent my old Pro Flow with conical air filter attached to you for that recalibration. It is on my car now and seems to be working well! And your customer service was great too!